New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cabela's spray lube ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got some Cabela's spray case lube, (always used Midway before) and tried it for the first time yesterday. And yes, I followed the directions, shook it, and waited 5 minutes after application to use.

Promply stuck a case, and tore the rim off getting it out.

All it did was get stickey and very little lubication property in it.

Did I do wrong, or shall I just give it back to them?

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I bought some on my last trip to Cabela's. Sprayed twice as much and only got half as slippery as cases sprayed with RCBS lube.
Luckily I didn't manage to stick any cases, but they required a lot more pressure on the press handle.

Too far to take it back, but I'm not bringing any more home with me. thumbdown

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Dillon or Frankfort (from Midway) spray lubes work pretty well and are much handier than is RCBS lube. Have never lost a case to sticking with either of these.

Have not tried the Cabela's lube.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Imperial sizing wax and you will forget about spray lubes and stuck cases will be a thing of the past

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
X 2 with the imperial sizing wax. Never had a problem with it and not as messy as the lubes.

Savage Vaporizer

Posts: 93 | Location: Ft. Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Yea guys, you really need to try Imperial Sizing wax. I threw my RCBS lube away years ago.

The Imperial dry neck lube works great as well (it looks like it's probably powdered graphite to me).

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try placing your brass into a clean large plastic peanutbutter jar. Spray the lube into the jar and then quickly screw on the lid. Shake for a minute and then resize. You will use a lot less spray lube and find it is not messy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you might clean your dies good then spray some in it.then lube the cases it works well with one shot lube

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
had much the same results from the cabelas chit - never had a problem with dillons

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick R:
I bought some on my last trip to Cabela's. Sprayed twice as much and only got half as slippery as cases sprayed with RCBS lube.
Luckily I didn't manage to stick any cases, but they required a lot more pressure on the press handle.

Too far to take it back, but I'm not bringing any more home with me. thumbdown

I have to agree with this... The first couple of cases I did with the Cabelas lube that was supplied with a kit were fine but then I promptly got a stuck case, did a few more and then another stuck case... Went back to the RCBS and have had zero stuck cases since...

Ken...

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Imperial is THE lube! I´ve tried a lot of commercial and home lubes but nothing compares to Imperial.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of West
posted Hide Post
The spray-on case lubes are probably the best thing to happen to reloading in years. You can make your own spray case sizing lube in bulk by mixing liquid lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol. A solution of 1 part liquid lanolin and 4 to 5 parts parts 99 percent isopropyl alcohol (4 oz of liquid lanolin to16 - 20 oz of isopropyl) works well. When mixing you may find that the lanolin mixes better if you warm both the alcohol and lanolin in a bath of warm water to about 105 - 110 degrees F before mixing. DO NOT WARM EITHER OF THEM OVER AN OPEN FLAME! Once the solutions are warm, pour together, mix thoroughly, allow the mix to cool (mix occasionally as it cools) and store in an air tight container to prevent water from being absorbed by the isopropyl. Put mixture into an ordinary spray bottle. To apply the lube, spread the cases in a single layer on a clean surface and spray. Allow the cases to sit for a couple of minutes, roll the cases around and lightly spray again. Wait until the alcohol has evaporated (about 5 minutes) and start sizing. Properly lubed cases will have a slightly greasy feel to them without feeling slimy.

It's the lanolin content that determines how "slippery" it is.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.

Posts: 41 | Location: Aurora, CO | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is exactly what is on the Cabela's bottle as ingredients. Maybe they are a little short on lanolin.

So where does one buy "lanolin" in bulk?

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote