THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Creighton Audette method @ 200m(218yrd)??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering if the Creighton Audette method will be as conclusive shooting at 200m or 100m rather than 300yards, as I remember was recommended when I heard about this system a year or so ago.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Express, I tried to answer this yesterday and something wouldn't let me get it posted.

Anyway, it really depends on the particular cartridge you are working with. If it is a relatively "flat shooter", then 300yds is perfect for Mr. Audette's method. If you try to shoot it closer, the ability to see the Points-of-Impact moving together(where the bullets exit the barrel at either the Apogee or Perigee of the harmonic) is more difficult.

If however you are shooting something like a 30-30Win, then 200yds would be great.

And for something like a 357Mag or 44Mag rifle, 100yds would tell you all you need to know.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Makes sence to me, since my new range has opened with 300m, it isn't a problem anymore...

I'll post the results, rifle is a .308win, HS Precision HTR.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Express, Normally there are two relatively calm wind periods per day - sunrise and sunset. It doesn't happen everyday, but often enough to watch for it.

If you can spot the "lull" in the wind, that is the best time to run this exercise. Using Mr. Audette's method utilizes relatively few shots, so it is no problem to normally get them shot during that calm period.

If you run outside the lull, just stop and complete the test the next day. If you hurry, your results will not be what you want.

Depending on your particular firearm, "Dry Fire" between actual shots. This helps peak your concentration and gets your focus back on good shooting form. And it allows the barrel to cool a bit more between shots.

If your scope has an Adjustable Objective, be sure to correct the Parallex by actually doing the adjustment looking through the scope rather than simply going by the marks on the AO Adjustment Ring. The marks are simply Guidelines to get you close.

Use a 5"-6" solid black square for your target. And aim at a corner. Just snug the crosshair up against the corner of the black square rather than trying to shoot the center of it.

300yds or meters is perfect for the 308Win and Mr. Audette's Method. Best of luck to you.

[ 10-07-2003, 17:07: Message edited by: Hot Core ]

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote