New
Find
Notify
Tools

Automated press
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for some info, because of the shortage ammo in the UK we are considering buying a MK7 automated machine but after doing some due dilligence there seems to be some problems with the machines(legal issues).
So went to find info about automating a Dillon from Ammobot, but it seems they also have problems.

Can anyone shed light on what is going on..

Regards
Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had enough problems with a hand operate progressive press.

Not that they do not produce a lot faster then a non progressive press.

Maybe they are just hard to keep in tuned.

What are the legal requirements that you are having problems with.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
its not me with the legal problems, it seems that MK7 were having issues with some major brass manufacturers.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Most of us do not use, nor have a need for the MK7, which is more of a production system than a hand operated reloaded press. I have used a Hornady pro-7 since they came out without issue; I don't like any version of the dillon and I have used them. Of course, I have not used any of them with electric motors and digital readouts.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
A range in NYC had 2 Ammoload machines, a roll sizer and a sorter. For handgun ammo (38/9mm). This was in the 90's. He got them at auction. Used them for 10+ years. He eventually sold them.

They were slick as snot.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several friends have the automated Dillon.

Issue 1 is that the machine gets minutely out of time or adjustment and then things go pear shaped. If you are meticulous with following protocols (reset and clean every so often) it’s fine.

The guy with it completely automated (bullet feed, case feed, electric primer flipper, etc.) states it works well, but is a monumental pain in the butt to change calibers with the bullet feed.

If you were to get one, I’d have one load selected and not change from it.

I’m personally not at getting the automated fully equipment as the limiting step isn’t my pulling the handle…

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
The off press roll sizer and sorter were the key components. No crushed cases (no sizing on the press), no split cases, no 357 cases, it might have kicked out berden cases also.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The time you spend tuning, maintaining, and repairing a progressive press, especially an automated one -- along with the percentage of ruined rounds they invariably produce -- makes a single stage much more efficient for the quantity of ammunition that an individual shooter might use.

Besides, doing single operations in large batches (sizing, priming, charging, etc) allows much better quality control.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Stonecreek's conclusion. However, back in the competition stage, my hydraulic MEC 12 gage was a blessing.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1111 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Progressive presses are pretty much a necessity in the action shooting sports.

When you are shooting hundreds of rounds a match, a single stage doesn’t work too well.

The powered automatic stuff is neat, but more money than I want to spend, and spending 2 hours instead of one for a month’s shooting isn’t worth the marginal effort. Besides, I haven’t been able to find enough primers to worry about it…

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Mark 7 Revolution, an automated dillion 1050, 2 manual 1050s and a couple of single stage presses. It all depends on how may you are producing a month and what your time is worth. For 50 rounds, load it on a single stage. For 1000 load on a progressive, for 10k you want an automated machine. The Mark 7s are good machines and frankly require less tuning than the automated Dillon since the press itself was designed to be automated.

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

Brad, did the MK7 need constant tuning?
We are looking to produce factory ammo about 2-4k monthly.
Would you choose the MK7 over any other machine..

Regards
Griff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bottom line is I have no use for them, had a hand operated one some years ago and ended up selling it within 90 days, never again, stick with my old Hollywood and RCBS A-2 with the 50 cal. option that Ive never used, and never will own a 50BMG..but it was great with my 470 and other English guns.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a Dillion 550B since they were introduced in the early 1980's. My Dillion 550B is manually indexed. And while it runs well enough, things get out of whack. Primer feeding is always an issue, and the occasional bullet goes in sideways and crunches a case. Fine or dusty powders clog up the powder dumping mechanism.

If I automated, I am sure I could produce lots of ammunition that would have to be scrapped later.

And a big fear, small primer 45 ACP cases creep into the mix of large primer. I have not seen the pictures, because story tellers are lazy and don't forward the things. But a Bud told me of a Dillion 1000 that was destroyed when a large primer met a small primer case. He said "I did not think that level of destruction was possible!"

Probably a worse version of this.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Mark 7 needs tuning when you first set it up, and them some tuning over time thereafter. 2-4k a month is about what I load and there isn't really any other good choice. The automated Dillon 1050s require constant watching. I have the Forsch rotary motorized conversion. The conversion is bombproof but the press itself really is not designed to run in an automated fashion. The next step up is Camdex or Ammoload. They have their own tweeking issues and require a skilled operator and are north of $50k now I think.

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote