Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

50-140 sharps info
 Login/Join

posted
looking for some loading info for the big 50-140 sharps cartridge. ive loaded with BP, but was specifically looking for a lil help/ info to try some smokeless powder. i am mostly intertested in any pet loads , if anyone has any experiance with this one. id like to try AA 5744 powder, but havent found to much data. im shooting a new( 1970ish) sharps long range rifle. thanks for the help

Posts: 7 | Location: ruperts land | Registered: 05 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Max: Shoot an e-mail to the ballisticians at Accurate Arms, and they'll offer you some guidance on loads with 5744. They helped me out with loda suggestions for .577 Snider several years ago.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info. i shoot a .577 snider aswell. never even thought about trying 5744 in that. good idea, thanks

Posts: 7 | Location: ruperts land | Registered: 05 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a BP cartridge and rifle. Smokeless is not well suited to such voluminious cases. Loading it down to be more comfortable to shoot is not going to work out well. Stick with black. 1-F may hlp tame recoil as vs. 2-F. Best plan would be to rebarrel to 45-70 if you want something that is more versitile and smokeless friendly.

posted Hide Post
i relise its a BP cartridge. i also relise that its not well suited to smokeless powder. i have been doing some reading, and have heard that 5744 was developed for a smokeless alternative. i do load with 2 F right now, and recoil isnt a problem. i would like something that a lil more cleaner freindly. and re-bbl an originaly sharps thats in 100% condition?. no thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For smokeless I would be looking for some SR4759. You can get it from surplus powder dealers. It is a very bulky smokeless with a burning rate about like 4227. It is the "Trail Boss" of rifle powders. Do not use fillers under any circumstances.....ever. IMHO.

Failing that get some 777.

If you are describing black loads as dirty you may meed to adjust your loads. Use a magnum primer, a drop tube, compress the powder with a die, use BP lube, use a wad, and finally use a very soft bullet. If you do this you should be able to shoot very long strings with out problems. These guys are a good resourse.

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/index.php

What you are seeking is like insisting on buring diesel in your gasoline engine. Yes after modifications and ajustments the engine gan be made to run. You will find that the durability goes out the window. It is like the diesel converstions from GM in the early '80. They just did not hold up.

I once loosend up a Spencer in about 20 shots with a very mild unique load. In the same way your rifle was designed before smokeless was envisioned. Feed it what it was born to eat and it will live a long healthy life.

Your action is basically strong. The firing pin uses a transfer bar gizmo. That is the weak point. It is not designed for modern pressures. Your intended smokeless loads may be just fine. A reloading mistake may cause a blown primer. With a Sharps that can be very dangerious. You can't get suffiecient pressure to do that with black.

posted Hide Post
yes, i know all about loading BP loads. i have made it shoot quiet well with FF , and as for dirty, well, i just hate usein the boiled water, clean clean, every time. i know you are right, and it probably should be used with BP only, but......
have never tryed 777, and heard nothing but bad reports on it. thought that 5744 was suposed to be the holie grail sorta for BP replacement.

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Here are some loads for the .50-110/.50-100. As I understand it, the .50-140 is just a longer case. This would give you and idea of what smokeless powders might work. Not sure how you make the adjustment to the larger/more volumous case.

MM

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
I do not shoot the 50-140. I shoot the 50-90, sidehammer sharps with the 2 1/2"case. That's like the 50-110, except the 50-110 usually shoots a lighter bullet.But I sometimes shoot a 395 grain hp in the 50-90, and also a 500, and a 600, in addition to a patched bullet from a variable weight mold. Black powder is the stuff to use, but I sure like AA 5744 and IMR 4227 too. The 5744 loadings work well with all weights, but bullet hardness is a minor issue sometimes.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I have had great success with 42 grs of XMP5744 with a 560 gr cast bullet 1:20 lubed with SPG in the 50-140. Try 2'' groups at 100 yrds. Fed 215 primer and no filler. XMP5744 is excellent for large volume cases.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
I have gone up to 44.5 gr. of XMP5744 in my Shiloh Sharps 50-140 with 500 gr. hard cast gas check bullets. A bit stiff on the recoil but tolerable off the bench if you like big bores. I also use Federal 215 primers. Be sure to work up to this load in your rifle as it may not be safe! I never use filler of any kind.
Bob G.

Do it right the first time.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
allrighty, that kinda what i wanted to hear. i use the rcbs 515 mould/ weight bullet, cast with straight wheel wieghts. this bullet shoots good with BP anyways. ether of you 2 fellas send any of those loads over a crony? i also use the 215 fed primmer with the BP, so will stick with it, for the smokeless