THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More loading info on acc.data 86 powder.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
saluteFirst of all , an old timer to whom I gave a pound of data 86 , today turned in 2 sub 1/2 moa groups at 100 yds. with a light weight 30-06 and a nosler partition bullet.

Also ,today, the .243 Ruger varmint turned in excellent results with a couple different 100 gr bullets and 45.1 gr. of Data 86. There were no evident pressure signs and these were shot with a really hot barrel. The velocity avg. was 3150fps.

If you compare the suggested max. load for this bullet weight with Accurate 3100 you will get some indication of what this means.

My cousin turned in a splended performance with a compressed load of Data 86 behind a Varmint Nitemare bullet in his 22-250 at 100 yds also today. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update on the Accurate Data 86 powder, Roger. I am continuing my own experiments with this powder in my .270WSM, 6.5x55 and new Stevens 200 in .243 Win. I tried it behind a 150 gr Ballistic Tip in the .270 Short Mag a few weeks ago and got a nice 3 shot group of .61" at 100 yards. Velocity was 2917 fps avg. I have loaded up some 140 gr Nosler Accubonds to see how they shoot. (This rifle has shot a number of groups in the .2's and .3's with the Accubond and Vihtavuori N-165)
My Howa 6.5x55 loves the Data 86 with the 129 gr Hornady, 3 shot groups average .70 of an inch and 5 shot groups are around an inch and a quarter with 47.5 gr and RP 9 1/2 primer. I am about half way through my 1st 8 lb keg, and am thinking I should order another couple of them. I will wait to see how the .243 groups with it and what kind of velocity it can push the 70 to 80 gr bullets before I decide to order more or not.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Roger, You had mentioned some time ago(decades, eons, ?) that you and Seafire were going to release a Load Manual on Blue Dot Reduced Loads. It does seem to be as slow in appearing as getting a Democrat interested in Reducing TAXES. So, now I've adjusted the "waiting window" and I'm just hoping it will appear while I'm still able to read.

Meanwhile, any chance at all that you "might" go on and create a Load Manual for the Surplus Powders you have been working with?

I figure I can wait on two as well as I can wait on one. Wink
---

P.S. I noticed in your flick that you "shaved" for Summer. You trying to scare kids off the front lawn or what?!?!?! Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Roger, You had mentioned some time ago(decades, eons, ?) that you and Seafire were going to release a Load Manual on Blue Dot Reduced Loads. It does seem to be as slow in appearing as getting a Democrat interested in Reducing TAXES. So, now I've adjusted the "waiting window" and I'm just hoping it will appear while I'm still able to read.actually I had offered Seafire some help in doing this. That being in the way of time and resources. It really is John's call. It is his baby and in NO WAY do I intend to steal any of his thunder.

Meanwhile, any chance at all that you "might" go on and create a Load Manual for the Surplus Powders you have been working with? I really have no intent to do this but I will always share what I do with this brotherhood. What time I have left on Earth is valuable and I'd really rather not be committed

I figure I can wait on two as well as I can wait on one. Wink
---

P.S. I noticed in your flick that you "shaved" for Summer. You trying to scare kids off the front lawn or what?!?!?! Big Grin

I go fishing in Alaska every year and the last time up there some kid thought I forgot my sled and rain deer. waveroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Roger, Just busting your (clean shaven) chops a bit Big Grin, which I figure you occasionally need to keep you (me too) straight.

That Alaska fishing sounds great. Got a buddy in SC who took off for some place in GA where a guy is raising (and feeding) 3# Bluegill. Should be quite a thrill on Fly Rods.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
3# Bluegill. Should be quite a thrill on Fly Rods.

I'd love to spend a day a week beside a meandering creek or farm pond with a bamboo or willow rod, a bobber and some of my mother's stronger sewing thread. Blue Gills WOW !!! thumbroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
This buddy of mine, Chuck, and I've been friends since `76. I was a new Engineer and was going through the Lab where Chuck worked. He stopped me and said, "What do you think of this?", which were some drawings he had made for an "Active Solar House".

I gave it a quick look, noticed it was Active(pumping water around), told him it was "obsolete" and kept walking.

On my way back through, he stopped me again to ask what I was talking about. I told him "Passive Solar" was the way to go and went on about my business.

A few days later he showed up where I was and said he had researched Passive Solar and he was going to change ALL his new house plans. And of course he thanked me. He did eventually build the home on a South facing lot on Lake Murray.

He was a Swab Jockey during the Nam era, so we got along fine. Then we began fishing together and we have had some fine and funny experiences over the years. He convinced me to get a Fly Rod and I've enjoyed them immensly.

Anyway, somehow some of the guys he works with heard about these HUGE GA Bluegill and got a trip up to go try them out. When he called to tell me about it, he was like a kid at Christmas. He had even bought a "new" Fly Rod and Reel to take and 99 Popping Bugs. Some kind of eBay deal on the Bugs.

I should hear back from him in a few days and I'm already grinning thinking about it.

What do you go fishing for in Alaska? Halibut? Salmon? Trout? Do you get to take them home with you?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
You do us cheap powder fans a service.

Are we all old fart engineers here?

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:

Are we all old fart engineers here?

My wife can atest to that for me when she washes my skivies. Now that's a real knee slapper. animal saluteroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK Roger,
I am starting to remember an Ollie and Sven joke from Seafire told me around the campfire.

Ollie and Olga are at the doctor.
Dr. says that from Ollie he will need a urine sample, a blood sample, a stool sample, and a sperm sample.

Ollie protests, "Hold on there, Dr., I can't do all that!"
But Olga interrupts, "It's o.k. Dr., I've got it covered. I will get you Ollie's boxer shorts when he puts them in the laundry."

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote