New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.62x39 and 357 mag with heavy bullets
 Login/Join

<dave j>
posted
I am working on 2 new projects just for fun. First is a subsonic load for 7.62x39 with 185gn Lapuas. I intend to load everything from 100 HP up including 168 Match with the intention of getting the heavier ones subsonic. Built around a target bolt action and .30 cal Match bl. About to be chamberred and interested in any comments.
Next is a 38/357 mag carbine built on a Martini action and 20" bl. Have got 129 Hydra shoks going @1050fps and interested in ideas on getting up to 180s subsonic in either catridge.
Any ideas welcomed.

<Paladin>
posted
You will have no difficulty in getting 200-grain cast bullets (Lyman #358430 or various others) to move at 1,050 feet per second from a .357 Magnum rifle. The Lyman pattern also shoots accurately if the twist is fast enough.

...The biggest problem comes in keeping enough of them cast and lubed, once one discovers how much fun they are to shoot.

<Eric>
posted
Dave,

You should have no problem loading the 7.62x39 to sub-sonic velocities. As you are loading for a bolt gun, you have no worry's with over all length. That is the usual problem with heavy bullets in this caliber. They stick out too far to feed from the magazine of rifles chambered for it. I have shot some 180 grainers from my SKS, had to single load them, but they seemed very accurate. Unfortunately, I haven't made any since I got my chronograph. Guess I'll have to now. :-)

There are a lot of good powders that will work, you might need to stay with the faster powders though. Small case, big bullet. I'd try for maximum case density to insure that it all burns.

------------------
Surely we must all hang together, for separately we will all surely hang.

http://www.sandygunworks.com