THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electronic reloading scale, advise please?
 Login/Join

<Jordan>
posted
Gentlemen:

I want to purchase an electronic reloading scale which will allow me to weigh loads [obviously!] while also reloading at a fast rate. What do I need, just a scale or a scale and a dispenser? Can anyone suggest a good combination, brand, model, etc.

Sincerely,

Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, this is just my opinion, but here goes.

I have been reloading for over 40 years and I would sure hate to go back to a beam type scale.
I have one of the first RCBS electronic scales to hit the market and I would be lost without it.

I feel that a scale alone is fine, you do not need a dispensor to go with it. I have several friends who have bought dispensors and the comments I hear from them are just about 50-50, that is, about half of them like the darned things.

In regard to brand, I would buy either another RCBS or the Pact brand.

R F [Razz]

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't own one but Pacts warranty and Midways price seem to put it ahead of others

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jordan:
Gentlemen:

I want to purchase an electronic reloading scale which will allow me to weigh loads [obviously!] while also reloading at a fast rate. What do I need, just a scale or a scale and a dispenser? Can anyone suggest a good combination, brand, model, etc.

Sincerely,

Jordan

I think that Pact makes the RCBS unit for them with the RCBS label....I have the RCBS pro scale and linked dispenser and they are nice but sensitive to any wind/breeze/breath ect.....the scale is the most useful of the two and is accurate and easy to maintain and read...the dispenser is slower than a thrown charge but for load work up and experiments it is nice to be able to change charges at a push of a button.....to speed up things you can throw a heavy charge low and let the scale/dispenser finish it off.....mine is about 14mts. old and just get the cover or make one for it just like a balance beam needs to be protected from dust and accidential strikes....PACT version is supposed to have a lifetime warranty vs the shorter length of the RCBS labeled one???? check for best price and let the loading begin...good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<George Capriola>
posted
Jordan,
I think you could save a few dollars by just sticking with your beam-type scale, and getting something like a Redding 3BR powder measure. I have one, and after dialing in the charge, it throws it over and over again with amazing consistancy.
I have an electronic scale, but have found it mostly useful in weighing cases, and occasionally weighing bullets (did you moly-coat a whole bunch of different bullets at the same time? It seems like a good idea, sometimes.). [Roll Eyes]
I use an RCBS 10-10 for weighing charges.
Regards, George.

[ 10-25-2002, 02:23: Message edited by: George Capriola ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Electronc scales are a bullet casters best friend. I have a Dillon. Got an excellent deal used or I would have a PACT. PACT can be ordered direct and they don't charge S&H.

Eddie

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jordan,
I have been using a Pact for almost 10 yrs,
and have had no problems.
I only use it for rifles,i use a powder measure
for pistols,but do use it to verify the charge from the powder dispenser.
They are great for weighing bullets,brass,etc
The RCBS is made by Pact,i bought directly from Pact,but Midway and others have good prices.
One thing i have noticed is you must let the elec scale warm up,or stabilize for 5-10 minutes each time you turn it on.
They are sensitive to breezes,and need to be placed on a very flat and solid surface or you will be re-zeroing or calibraring often.
They come in 2 flavors,battery operated or plug
in.
If you like to load at the range the battery ones are nice because of being portable.
DO NOT drop anything on the tray or you can damage the coil,and keep it covered up,or like me i put it back into the box after each session and
it will last you a long time.
Enjoy your new toy,
Z

Sincerely,

Jordan[/QB][/QUOTE]

Posts: 95 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote