Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 Lite Loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anybody have:
[1] Information on lite loading the 30-06 with jacketed bullets? [I have been told ther can be a problem.]
[2] Is that a webb sight for lite/squib loads?

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After much experimenting, I have settled on a Speer 125g TNT and 20 some grains of IMR 4227, no filler. Good, light load in my '06 anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MADISON

If the loads are very light the only problem you will have is that the headspace will increase with each shot.

What happens is that the primer blast forces a rimless case into the chamber a bit further but the very low pressure load does not fireform it.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You might want to check out the Speer manual, they feature reduced loads for quite a few rifle cartridges.
My fave for .30-06 - 110 Speer Varminter (the HP that looks like a pistol bullet), 17.0 grains SR 4759, Federal 210 primers, Federal cases. Guesstimated velocity is about 1,700 fps - great for short range varmints/plinking. Very easy on the shoulder.

Posts: 4 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MADISON:
Does anybody have:
[1] Information on lite loading the 30-06 with jacketed bullets?

I use 14 grains of very fast shotgun/pistol powder with a 125 grain jacketed bullet. I get around 1800 fps with 14 grains of 700x, with rather mild pressure.

I drilled the flash holes to 7/64 inch which is said to reduce the primer pushing the case forward.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a few:
14g. Unique, any bullet.
13g. Red Dot, any bullet.
31g. IMR 4198, 150g.-180g.
42g. IMR 4895, 125g.-150g.

Posts: 82 | Location: seattle | Registered: 14 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey MADISON, Go to the Hodgdon web site and look at their Reduced Load information based around H4895. All the Reduced Loads listed on their site have been thoroughly tested and will pose no Pressure problems for you.

Hodgdon determined it is possible to use a 60% Reduced load of H4895(from the MAX Loads shown) with any bullet. But, their explaination will be in greater detail and much better than mine.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike375:
If the loads are very light the only problem you will have is that the headspace will increase with each shot...What happens is that the primer blast forces a rimless case into the chamber a bit further but the very low pressure load does not fireform it...

Hey Mike, I'm having a hard time understanding how the "Primer blast forces the rimless case into the chamber a bit further"?

Could you perhaps mean the "impact strength" of the Firing Pin Spring has the potential to force a rimless case into the chamber a bit further?

I don't understand how pressure generated "inside the case" by the Primer and reduced Load can create the conditions you mention.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core

I think the primer tries to "back out" on detonation. There would also be intitially more pressure within the primer pocket area than the case

But whatever, you get a case and keep firing with only a primer and then try the same with primers that have been killed off.

Jack Belk is a 35 Whelen man and thought I was bullshiting about the increasing headspace and then he went and tested.....presto another believer. This came up on a thread on belted cases and put forward my view that I preffered belted and because I use lots of very reduced loads.

I have never tried it but I would be interested to see how rimless cases with very sharp shoulders would go such as the 416 Rigby.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the information you have posted, SO FAR. Can you help me with a couple of definitions?
I have been told that with larger calibers to use only FLAT NOSE bullets. None of the catalogs list those. The list ROUND NOSE, only. Help, please.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
For light loads go to my pages ance check them out...too many to list. Either of the SR powders are great for light loads, as are some of the "pistol powder" loads I have listed.

As for "flat nose bullets only" in larger calibers...balderdash!

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try some of the Speer #13 loads with XMP-5744 -- a truly great powder for light loads, it works beautifully in my .30-06, .338 Win. Mag. and .375 H&H. Better than SR-4759 in the ones where I've tried both.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hot Core ...you get a case and keep firing with only a primer and then try the same with primers that have been killed off.

Jack Belk is ..

Hey Mike, Do you think it is because the Lower Pressure is enough to cause the Case to grip the Chamber Walls and expanding it "wider", but not enough Pressure to cause the case to lengthen back to the Bolt-face?

Are you "Neck Sizing" those cases?

PLEASE refrain from including "the Hurse Chaser" in posts. You might as well use Clinton and Algore as references.

[ 06-11-2003, 02:01: Message edited by: Hot Core ]

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When ,Mike says headspace,I think he means the case will shorten,and it will.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core

To be completely honest I had never thought too much about the "whys" except it was the primer and I guess the firing pin as a plus.

As far as I have always been concerned the case was driven forward (like being resized [Smile] ) but unlike a higher pressure round there is insufficient pressure to fireform the case back again. I have used both neck and full length sized. You might ask "why full size" and that is just simply a case of reloading at the range or in the field and mixing full loads with reduced and sometimes in two rifles of the same calibre.

I think if I was using very reduced loads for rimless brass that was expensive or hard to get brass, then after a couple of shots I would expand the neck up and then run the case through a full lenghth sizing die and then use those cases for the next round of full power or at least loads that mid range pressure.

Paul H has 350 Rigby and is a squib load shooter and he said the sharp shoulder on the 350 Rigby seemed to be OK in terms of increasing headspace.

I used Belk as a reference of someone who was a non believer and then tried for himself and since he often finds me to be an offensive creature, then to publicy post it was the case then I figure is brass was increasing headspace by at least inch or so with each reload and firing of primed case.

I think someone above mentioned drilling out the flash hole to solve the problem. I have never tried that and also I would prefer to let it happen for a couple of shots then expand the neck and full size.

As a by the way, because I tend mostly to being a multi rifle in the one calibre person (not hard to guess calibre [Smile] if it was not for this issue then I might just have elected the 35 Whelen over the 375. It would also make me always pick a 35 Whelen over a 9.3 x 62 because of the cheap 30/06 brass.

Mike

[ 06-11-2003, 02:19: Message edited by: Mike375 ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MADISON:
Thank you for all the information you have posted, SO FAR. Can you help me with a couple of definitions?
I have been told that with larger calibers to use only FLAT NOSE bullets. None of the catalogs list those. The list ROUND NOSE, only. Help, please.

Madison,

If your manual has only pointy and round nose bullets in the 30-06 section, then look in the 30-30 section. The bullets there are exactly the same diameter (0.308" if jacketed), but they will mostly have flat noses, since they are designed to be knocked around in a tubular magazine without setting the round in front of them off. The bullets in the 32-20 section might be usable as well, and they ought to have flat noses.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as I have always been concerned the case was driven forward (like being resized [Smile] ) but unlike a higher pressure round there is insufficient pressure to fireform the case back again. I have used both neck and full length sized.

I used Belk(EDIT by HC: the fool) as a reference...since he often finds me to be an offensive creature...

As a by the way, because I tend mostly to being a multi rifle in the one calibre person (not hard to guess calibre [Smile] if it was not for this issue then I might just have elected the 35 Whelen over the 375. It would also make me always pick a 35 Whelen over a 9.3 x 62 because of the cheap 30/06 brass. Mike

Hey Mike, Had a small problem I that needed quick attention, so I was unable to respond quicker.

It seems to me you are on the right track now. I'd vote for:

1. The Firing Pin Spring driving the case forward in the chamber.

2. The "Low Pressure Load" being strong enough to create an expanded case body, thus shortening the case.

3. The "Low Pressure Load" not being strong enough to lengthen case body back to Zero headspace, thus leaving the case - short.

4. Any Neck Sizing would cause the case to shorten more since the Low Pressure would continue to expand the case body toward filling the chamber.

That's what it looks like to me.

"the fool" finds anyone offensive who calls him on his numerous errors. How he remains in the Gun Business when he has "Testified AGAINST the industry" amazes me. Just the PT Barnum factor in him I guess.

I see people whining and complaining about the "Bolt Locks" primarily on Remington Rifles, but of course other companies have them to varying degrees as well. But, those same folks seem not to be able to make the connection to "the fool's actions" as why the firearm industry is having to go to those extremes.

Always room for a 35cal in your Safe. [Big Grin] I understand your reasoning for selecting the 375H&H as an all around rifle. It has the "desirable" Belt, easily loaded up-or-down to fit the situation at hand, nonobjectionable recoil level for a seasoned shooter and accurate.

But, I still like having a few different calibers to mess with for myself. Swapped into an 18.5" Ported 444Mar in a Marlin Lever Action last year. Really figured the short barrel combined with the ports would blow my ears off. But, it sounds about like a regular old 30-06 in a 22" barrel.

I'll mess with it for a couple of years and if I eventually decide I want the non-ported longer barrel, I'll just let Marlin put a new one on it for $140(including shipping).

ANYWAY, go get a 35Whe and enjoy it. Or are you afraid it will cause you to "trade off" all the 375s? [Wink]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core

I don't think there was anyone who fought as hard as I did on HuntAmerica against the Belk/Barber case. Swamp banned me many times due to my views. The number of posts and threads were enormous.

Ray Atkinson and Chic Worthing (CustomStox) were full backers of Swamp and Jack Belk. In fact I think Atkinson was one of the people who got the ball rolling at HA in favour of the Barbers.

You are right to remind me of what happened and why it still needs to be addressed as the Belk thing is everywhere.

A thread I started a year or two ago on this site. Perhaps it is time to ask what people think about the Remington/Barber issue, at the very least in principle.

http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002044;p=1

I just posted on African forum:

http://www.serveroptions.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007405

Mike

[ 06-12-2003, 17:31: Message edited by: Mike375 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike, Just looked at the thread.

Two things stand out as surprises to me; 1. Your "close and personal buddy"(the fool) has sure PT Barnumed a bunch many many folks into thinking there is an actual design problem with the Remington Trigger. 2. Apparently a lot of folks that "used to" hang around Swamp's site no longer go there.

As far as #1 goes, it always amazes me to see otherwise rational, clear thinking individuals be so completely taken in by someone who is clearly taking a totally wrong and illogical position simply because it lines his pockets.

And #2 caught me off-guard too. I thought all those folks LOVED Swamp's site!!! HAHAHA

I told Swamp to stick his site a good time back. He sent me an email saying I had "threatened" howl. Still unsure how he came to that conclusion. howl had been talking bad about the dead PO Ackly, as usual for him, and I did take the old idiot to task for doing it. Many folks have no idea at all his Doctorate is in "Religion" and he leads them to believe it has something to do with ballistics - pitiful character.

In fact, I pile belk and howl under the same rock.

Good luck with the thread. I saw only "one" negative response from someone you obviously stomped on before.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,

If you search on Google for Belk Remington Barber you bring up the CBS stuff as the first couple of links.

I always like this one from Jack:

Belk: "That’s the two rules of gun design. No gun should fire with the safety engaged and no gun should fire unless the trigger is pulled. My contention is, if you don’t know when a gun is going off, there’s no such thing as safe. Right now, I could hold a 700 and take the safety off, and if it fired, people within five miles of here are at danger even if it’s pointed up, or down."

5 miles [Big Grin] I assume by pointing down he means it will ricoshet 5 miles

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike, One "Rule of Thumb" I've found to be true is if a "fool"(belk) talks long enough, his lack of mental ability becomes completely clear to most everyone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lyman cast bullet reloading manual gives a great number of loads for Cast bullets; which relates a great deal for low velocity Jacketed bullet loads. The other reloading manual with reduced loads is the Accurate manual ( for XMP-5744 ). The two powders that have the highest safety factors are IMR-SR4759 and Accurate XMP-5744. Both are excellent for reduced loads. Jacketed bullets of the same weight and bearing surface will yield higher pressures than lead. At lower velocities( below 1,850 fps ) in a 30-06, pressures will be well below max with either of the two powders mentioned. Another trick is to moly coat the bullets; they seem to shoot better; for me at least.

[ 06-16-2003, 06:25: Message edited by: Old & Slow ]

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote