Find
Notify
Tools

westpac, 338 RUM, Brux barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted
I believe in giving credit where credit is due. westpac just recently rebarreled a Beretta Mato 338 win mag for me with a 26" #5 contour Brux barrel into a 338 RUM. I couldn't be happier

200 yards, 225 TTSX, 97.5 gr RL25, 3110 fps

200 yards, 225 TTSX, 98 gr RL25, 3150 fps

Those were shot with a 2.5x10x50 Zeiss Diavari on it so it was not even a high power scope. I didn't know I could shoot that good.

He put a muzzle brake on it that really works and is not that loud considering the caliber and really works

With the 2 recoil suppressors I installed in the stock and the heavy barrel it is not a light weight gun and it recoils like my lightweight Steyr 30-06. Seems to push me back further but with about the same force. The muzzle brake does not blow back into my face or ruffle anything on the bench. It is closed on the bottom so should not blow up dust if shooting prone. No one at the range complained or shot me dirty looks.

What's the use of having a 338 RUM if I can't clear the benches on either side? Big Grin

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very neat Woods....and Malm, is that an integral brake or can you remove it?
Is that a custom Malm design--I like it, have never had a rifle with a brake, but I still have that 416 RM barrel for my 202 Takedown.....

I also have a 330 Dakota that thumps pretty hard too.

Thanks for the share--nice going Malm, what a great shooting rig!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I just got finished suggesting a Brux bbl to a fellow who's post is in medium bore, for his 30.06.

Malm did my H-S Precision stock shortening and installed the decel. recoil pad that you see in my thread posted in Am Big Game hunting where Brittney killed a nice big mulie Sat. morning.

BTW Malm, looks like the stock you did fits her very well. The rifle is also posted in the pic.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
Very neat Woods....and Malm, is that an integral brake or can you remove it?
Is that a custom Malm design--I like it, have never had a rifle with a brake, but I still have that 416 RM barrel for my 202 Takedown.....

I also have a 330 Dakota that thumps pretty hard too.

Thanks for the share--nice going Malm, what a great shooting rig!

Bob, the Brux barrel appears to be working well. thumb

Fish30114, yes that's my own design and it is integral. The bore and the brake share one axis. Without any possible misalignment problems between threaded pieces, you can keep the exit tolerances tighter, which allows for a better use of the gas energies. Very effective. And it doesn't add length.

Doc, glad the stock fit her. Based on the photo of Brittney over on the Am Big Game hunting area, you were wise to keep the camera focused on her and not the gun. Nice! Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, keep in mind that original photo is from a cell phone. Adam just emailed me pics of much better quality and a few more to boot. I'll have them posted tonight or tomorrow.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns