New
Find
Notify
Tools

POWDER SCOOPS OKAY?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a Lee Hand Press kit and have all I need to load. I need to add I am relocating for 3months. I will be using a scoop as I dont want to take the scale with. My scoop throws an average of 35.7gr, 2.04gr below my Somchem table. They use the 170gr bullet PRO AMM and I will be loading Hornady 175gr Interlocks PSP. Start load for Somchem S335 is 37.8gr Max 40.6. I am about 2gr below start. Is this dangerous ie detonation etc or anything else to worry about. I wont be using them further than 150m.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One would assume that if the scoop was included in the kit, it would be safe. I'm sure there are thousands or more in use.
Lee does make a scoop kit that has several different sized scoops and a chart that tells you what each scoop will hold with what powder.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before you relocate make your own scoop from a cut-off cartridge case. You can solder or epoxy an appropriate handle to it if you wish. Since you apparently have access to a scale at the moment, simply trim the mouth back by trial until it holds exactly the amount you wish to load, whatever that amount might be.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
They work pretty good, but there is a learning curve to get a consistent load.

Practice while you can.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek thats the type of scoop i am using however they average 2gr below the recommended start load and I was wondering if this will cause pressure problems?

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont really have the time to make another that will hold the extra 2gr but if 2gr below recommended start load is dangerous then I guess I will have to. What do you think?

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Lal,

You can make a scoop in about 5 minutes, 10 minutes if you want it to look extra pretty.

What I would suggest is that you should use your scale right now to find a load/powder combination your gun likes and then make a scoop just for that powder. If you are careful and lucky, often times you can use a tubing cutter and an extra cartridge case, or a hacksaw. Cut the neck off the brass, and what I have found that works nicely is to fill the case with your powder and then use a fine file and slowly file it down until it is level with the powder. Then toss the powder and weigh a dipper of clean powder.

Anyway, old cartridge cases with coathanger-wire handles soldered on are really easy and simple to make and work quite well.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They work pretty good, but there is a learning curve to get a consistent load.

Practice while you can.

Ole Duckie is spot-on!

Mark's idea also perfect IMO.

There is a real learning curve to consistantly measuring powder with a scoop.

Basically, it's doing the same thing, every time.

Now having said that; you can also use a smaller scoop twice, 3x's, or any combination of scoops, large or small etc. to give the exact powder measurement you require for any given load.

Therefore I beg the question; Why would you want to consider using a load that's 2 grains shy of your original load?

A coupla minutes with your scale and any number of househould widgits, a Thimble, Scoops, modified or original cartidge cases would most probably afford exactly the measurement you desire.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lal:
I dont really have the time to make another that will hold the extra 2gr but if 2gr below recommended start load is dangerous then I guess I will have to. What do you think?
It sounds like you are more concerned with the phenomenon called SEE, or Secondary Explosion Effect, than with getting greater potential velocity from your reload. Assuming that you are happy with the performance of the two-grain "underload", I don't think that you have much to worry about with SEE. SEE is known to occur with a limited number of fairly slow powders in large capacity cases where the loading density is rather low. I'm not familiar with the Somchem powder in question, but your load sounds as if it is for a 7x57. If so, I very much doubt that the Somchem S335 is likely subject to SEE.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stonecreek that is what I wanted to know.
Didnt want to take that kind of chance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you go off to Africa try some of the loads. If you have a mishap here it is easier to punt.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well since its PISSING down with rain today I will male another scoop with a cut case. Wish my Dremel Tool was still around, bloody gardener stole it and sold it for booze! Indeed this can only happen in South Africa BOOM

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Lal,

One more tip is if a scoop is too big for a particular load you can cut some small circles of stiff paper and tamp them into the bottom with a pencil until it will measure your required quantity.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, funny you should say that, the scoop that came with the die set holds 40gr of the powder I am currently using and I have been punching out plastic discs with a 375 shell. I ended up gluing one in after much trial and error and came to the exact powder weight I require. I remembered this from years ago when I was first starting to load shotgun shells with my LEE LOAD ALL. I would use a small piece of tape stuck on the inside wall of the powder bushing and it is still in use. Thanks for all the help.

One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lal:
Mark, funny you should say that, the scoop that came with the die set holds 40gr of the powder I am currently using and I have been punching out plastic discs with a 375 shell. I ended up gluing one in after much trial and error and came to the exact powder weight I require. I remembered this from years ago when I was first starting to load shotgun shells with my LEE LOAD ALL. I would use a small piece of tape stuck on the inside wall of the powder bushing and it is still in use. Thanks for all the help.

Drip molten candle wax into the scoop instead; it's easy to remove a little at a time if you overdo it & just as easy to completely remove if so desired.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The Lee scoops work very good for my 45 ACP and 40 S&W

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote