Find
Notify
Tools

Dangerous right-handed gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted
The subject line should get ya to look at least...

I shoot left handed and have no problem with shooting a right handed gun, BUT, There was a thread where the bolt was blown out the back of a gun and caused significant harm to the user. I've just started to reload and have no intention of loading hot rounds. I've got a 300 WSM, I'm loading down to 7.62 x 39, .308, and 30-06. So no problem. But If I was to get a failure of some sort, I'm thinking I'd get a bolt handle lobotomy. And if it were a lesser failure I'd still get a faceful of gas out of the relief holes in the bolt (it's a Vanguard)

Cut to the chase. Would you switch to a left handed gun for the sake of safety alone?

Thanks for your opinion on this.

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... I've just started to reload and have no intention of loading hot rounds. I've got a 300 WSM, I'm loading down to 7.62 x 39, .308, and 30-06. So no problem.
Would you switch to a left handed gun for the sake of safety alone?...

Hey Collins, When you do your "Downloading", let me encourage you to stay with Loads actually shown in a Manual. DO NOT look at a Load and just start lowering the Powder below what is shown in your Manuals.

There is a phenomenon called Secondary Explosion Effect, Detonation and a few other things that can occurr with "Slow Powders" in Loads reduced too much.

A good way around this is to go to the Hodgdon site and look at their "H-4895 60% Reduced Loads". It is self explainatory and totally SAFE to go that route.

---

To your original question, whether the Bolt is on the Left or Right, if it somehow manages to shear the Locking Lugs, the Bolt will still be headed toward your face. So, I don't see that as a real concern for you.

In fact, I'm right handed, but take about 20% of my Hunting Shots from the Left simply because the Game decides to "sneak up on me from my far right side" occasionally. Very rude of them and I do my best to adjust their attitude concerning it.

---

The big reason for having a Left Hand rifle, would be if it makes you more "comfortable and confident" by having the handle on that side. They can be difficult to locate in a particular Model and Caliber you might want though. So, if you get a chance to handle one at the Range that you happen to see someone else with, that will help you make up your mind.

Or buy an inexpensive Lefty in a caliber you can shoot a whole lot all year long. Something like a 223Rem Savage, or a used Lefty of some sort. You can always re-sell it if need be, or perhaps it would be the cornerstone for your future Lefty purchases if you really like them better.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I doubt seriously if there's any safety to be gained by getting a left handed action.....you might be a little faster with followup shots but other than that keep what you have.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote