New
Find
Notify
Tools

M96 accuracy??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I’m 64 years old and wear trifocals andshoot cast bullets and have a 96 Mauser in 6.5X55. With the original sights I shoot 4”-6” 10 shot groups at 100 yards, with a cluster and fliers, many called.
I bought a M55?? Sight adjustable from 100-700 meters? and put it on the gun. I glued a washer to the front of the rear sight, a la MOJO, and glued the orange insert from a set of lyman inserts to the rear of the front sight. I can shoot maybe 3” 10 shot groups average at 100 yards with that setup. I shot 25 shots at 100 yards last week into 5 5/8”.
I read guys saying they shoot MOA-which I think is 1” center to center at 100 yards-with swedish mausers and the original sights. One guy did it offhand.
I can’t shoot 1” groups routinely(4 out of 5 groups) with any iron sights, and just barely do it with bolt guns or my bench gun-a martini with 30/30 barrel and great gunsmithing.
I believe I can shoot 1 �-2” groups with this gun and a micrometer sight.
I have 2 questions.
1. Can you young guys shoot 2” or better 10 shot groups 4 out of 5 times at 100 yards with the original sights on a M96?
2. My gun is original and matching. I’ve had 03 Springfields with Lyman sights and scope blocks installed, and nobody thought they did anything bad making these modifications. If I put a Lyman sight on the rifle, cutting the stock as required, have I done a really bad thing?
Thanks;
Joe b.

Posts: 51 | Location: Marathon, FL | Registered: 03 November 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Joe,

I love talking about M96 Swedes!

I'm probably one of the guys you've read who talks about MOA groups with factory sights on the M96.

I can shoot MOA better than half of the time, and when I exceed MOA, it's not by much. The best group I've shot to date was 8 shots under 3 inches at 300 yards. This was with 45 grains of H4350 and Hornady's 140 grain Interlock.

The important thing to do for shot to shot consistency is to use a 6 o'clock hold with the sights. If you try to align the sights, and then direct them to the center of a large target, you'll have trouble judging where the center of the target is.

Try this: Take one of the 4 inch orange target spots, and place it at 100 yards. Align the sights, and put this orange circle *just* on top of the front sight. It will need to also be centered on that sight blade. Of course use front and rear bag supports for the rifle.

I would also like to know what load recipe you are using. If you have access to the Sellier & Bellot 131 grain ammo, I can attest that it will shoot tight, very tight, in the M96 Swede.

I'm not an MOA offhand shot. I shot that 300 yard group from the prone position, off of front and rear sandbags. Some folks can shoot really well offhand--I'm not yet one of them...

I like your idea of the glued on aperture! That's something that wouldn't harm the original condition of the rifle, and it may be useful. Hell, you've talked me into trying it. [Smile]

A year ago, I'd have said go for the modifications to the rifle. Swedes could be had for 150 dollars give or take. In case you haven't noticed, in the past year, the prices of the M96's have more than doubled. These rifles are gaining interest from collectors and riflemen in leaps and bounds. Decent M96's are going for close to 400 dollars these days.

A true rifleman will always appreciate the design, function, and aesthetics of the Swedish Mausers [Wink] ...

So, what ammo are you using?

And one other thing: I have never believed that as we age we must give up shooting with iron sights. I simply know too many folks who are good iron sight shots that are over 60! One of my dear friends who passed away a few years back was 84 and could outshoot me with an iron sighted 22.

True, our eyes aren't as able to keep target, front, and rear sight in focus all at once. No one can do that, no matter how young. Younger folks can come closer to doing it, but as we age there are normally ways to compensate.

Focus on the front sight. I align the front sight in the rear notch, and let the rifle settle onto the bags. Move it around until the target is floating on, or *just* barely touching the front sight. Before squeezing the trigger, recheck alignment of the rear notch, and while squeezing, focus on the front sight. The front sight will be sharply focused, the rear sight, after being checked for alignment, will go out of focus, and the target will also be out of focus, but you'll be able to see it well enough to judge it's position over the front sight.

Let us know how things go...

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
<< Decent M96's are going for close to 400 dollars these days. >>

Say what?

I paid $39.95 for mine about ten years ago. Bought it in a dime store. (Rose's)

When I was smithing/dealing I was buying them for either 3 or 4 for $100. Chopped one to 20", fitted it with a cheapie peep sight and sold it for $75. Bought it back after deer season for $50. Did that three times before it found a home.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Hey, we had a Roses here in my town a few years ago, and they sold the M96's for way under 100 bucks... But NOOOOOO! I had to buy the cheap Chinese SKS rifles instead. [Roll Eyes] 'course they were only about sixty bucks then.

I could have bought myself rich if I'd only known!

Yeah, it's true. Check out Auctionarms.com and you'll see what I'm talking about on the M96's.

There were some real rough beaters that were sold through some of the distrubutors who advertise in Shotgun News about a year ago, maybe as recently as six months ago. Those went for a little under 200 bucks. But from all appearances, those are gone now...

Take care,

Dan