New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler brass quality
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In a previous post I said that Nosler brass appeared to be very consistent. I was referring to factors which are easily measurable, not the alloy. I just sampled a batch (100 rounds) of 7mm Rem Mag. I grabbed 10 rounds for a sample. Here are the results:

Min Max Avg Variance
Weight(grains) 255.3 256.2 .9
TIR* .002" .005" .001" .003"
Neck thickness.013" .015" .014" .002"
Headspace** 2.112 .001
Length*** 2.481" 2.484" 2.483" .003

*Total indicated runout was measured on a RCBS Casemaster with fulcrums at the casehead and midpoint on the case. The dial indicator stem was near the end of the neck. Cases were first neck-sized using a Redding bushing die.

** SAAMI/ANSI min headspace is 2.1253", measured from the case head to the datum point on the shoulder. I used a RCBS Precision Mic, good only to .001".

***Length SAAMI spec is 2.500" (up to .020 less)

Note: The Casemaster neck thickness gauge is pretty crude. A ball micrometer for tubing would be more accurate.

Nosler advertises that you can load their brass right out of the box. Except for neck sizing and chamfering, I would agree. Bench rest shooters will have higher standards, but not many of them are shooting belted mags.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The proper spacing on the chart disappeared when I posted the above. I hope you can make sense of it.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's pretty consistent compared to some I've seen. For example, I went through a bag of 50 new winchester brass and found a 7 grain weight spread. Thanks for posting your findings!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will get better after once fired.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote