New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best .45-70 Bullet for Big Game
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for your recommendations on the best .45-70 bullet for big game. Can be cast or jacketed. Would like to know why you are recommending this bullet.

------------------
"The Constitution of the United States shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Guess what, there are three known pressure levels for the 45-70. I suggest you elaborate.
As to bullets, if velocities are below the Ruger high end, Cast bullets will do most anything that fancy jacketed bullets will do, in this caliber. This is one case, where the size of the hole in the end of the barrel rules!
I have shot a 350gr cast hollow point end to end on a 130lb whitetail, breaking ribs, and pelvis on the way through. Straight wheel weights was the alloy used.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Elias>
posted
I have Ruger no 1 with custom made octagon 30`` barrel.For moose I use Hornadys 4502 350gr semijaketed bullet,loaded upto 670m/s equal to 5000J energy.Functions wery well in my rifle,usually goes thru the animal,cruches all bones when hits.This with Ruger.Offcourse you cannot go so up in power with all rifles.

------------------
As long there�s lead in the air,there�s hope.