Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rubbing Bolt Facing???
 Login/Join

posted
Hey guys, I'm having problems with my 7mm wsm. I was trying some new loads for it and found that the bolt was abnormally hard to close. I checked and checked the bullet depth over and over to see if I was to deep, but it turns out that the bolt facing is rubbing on the back of the casing. I use full size hornady dies and have never had this problem before. Any suggestions?

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the case needs to be sized a bit more to bump back the shoulder or the necks need lube when sizing to prevent the expander from stretching the shoulder foreward.

I`ve heard a lot of people haveing sizeing problems with the short mags. The case walls are thicker then normal from what Ive been told, and is a large part of the problem. They have more spring back and don`t move like normal brass when resized.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've already made a box of twenty out these brass. Will it hurt(brass,bolt,ME! etc.)to fire them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't use short mags myself , but sounds like a problem I had years back with 7MM RM . To hot of a load stretched my cases and even after FL resizing I still had problems with a few of them chambering . I Did what Ol' Joe suggested and it worked just fine .

As long as your not seeing signs of excessive pressure and you can close the bolt without shaving off the case head It should be alright .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What DocK said. I've seen this with all kinds of rounds, including a bunch of WSM's, of which I have a bunch. If your loads are max loads, and you have a puller, I would take them apart and resize the brass without the decapping pin AND stem in the die. The reason I advise this is that I have seen loads that were a strong crush fit--had to close the bolt firmly/hard, and when fired we had to knock the bolt open with a mallet--No fun--same load in brass which the bolt closed normally on, and no issue!

Good luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote