Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodliegh 8mm 250gr. bullets
 Login/Join

posted
Help!!!! I just purchased a box of 50 8mm (.323) bullets from Woodliegh. They are 250 grain copper jacketed soft points. My problem is I am reloading for a German K98k and I cannot find any load information on recomended starting or maximum loads for this weight bullet. I am using H-4895 as my powder and even called the powder company and they had no information........ The highest published loads I have found are 220 grain bullet recomendations. Has anyone worked up loads for this yet?

Posts: 12 | Location: Virginia, United States | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might want to send an email to Geoff at Woodleigh. He has always been helpful to me and others with reloading data for his bullets.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I sent an e-mail to them yesterday, but seeing as its Saturday now in Australia, I expect a reply maybe on Sunday, EST.
thanks for the help.....

Posts: 12 | Location: Virginia, United States | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you get your response would you please post it? Thanks.

Posts: 1077 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Certainly, The 250gr. would make a nice Hog thumper in Mississippi

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cashdds, I fear that 250 gr of bullet weight could be a little heavy for a K98; anyway, for what it's worth, Quickload 3.3 suggests 40 gr as starting, and 43.5 gr as max, BUT Hodgdon H4895 seems to be a little fast, since at 43.5 gr (max), you could get barely 88.2% of load density. It's only a guess, of course.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wildboar,
I know.... that the 250gr is pretty darn heavy. Here in Virginia there is a lot of thick pine forest and dense hardwood. Where I usually hunt a shot over 150 yards is very rare. If I was to take a longer shot I would definately bank on a Nosler 180gr ballistic tip. I took a whitetail the other season with that out of my G43. Devestating round.....No wonder the Germans loved it.......

posted Hide Post
Ok, Just got back from the range....
Used your suggestion Wildboar.
I loaded the 8mm 250's with 40gr of H4895 and Magtech large rifle primers.... OAL was at maximum for 8mm... these bullets are LONG!
Results... At 100m they shot well at 8 inch steel plates. Had several solid HARD hits. but at 200m and 300m.... big drop.. even adjusting for elevation with open sights set for the range proved low...
I need a Chronograph.... The brass had no visible signs of abnormalities and primers stayed right where I seated them.
Right now, inside 100m I feel good about these. Only time and practice will tell.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
cashdds,
Woodleigh may be a day or two late responding ... its a public holiday here today. Queen's Birthday long weekend. clap
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Barnes No1 Manual has data for their 250 gr original.
RL15 39-42
AA2520 40-43
Imr 4350 43-46
Imr 4320 39-42
H414 43-46
H 4895 37-40
Data was developed using Win cases, RP 9 1/2 primers and a 26 inch Shilen barrel, all max loads are right around 2250 fps

posted Hide Post
Thanks Con, SWheeler.....

I will try out some of the other powders... when I chronograph it, I'll post it....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I loaded my long throated 8x57 with 250 gr. Woodleighs, Rem cases, Fed 210 primers. as follows:

51 grs. of RL-15
57 grs. of H414
56 grs. of H414

Cut back 20% and go from there. I chronographed these loads but cannot find that data..Be sure you have a good Mauser action and the headspace is correct. I notice a lot of variation between the above loads with H414 and my loads of H414, but I have found the same true in the 7x57, as both are underloaded in the reloading manuals because of the many poor rifles in that caliber. So be careful and approach your loading with caution.

They certainly killed deer and plainsgame well.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Great to know, Ray! thanks for the Loads. Its nice to get some information from a Professional Hunter.
The 8x57 I am using is of Mauser/Obendorf 1943 manufacture. Vintage vet bringback from the War I aquired through friends. I also have a WW1 Spandau 1916 manufacture GEW 98 that I shoot with regularly. It shoots tighter groups than my k98. However, I don't think I'll put any of these loads through it... they may be a little to high pressure.
What game have you taken with your 8mm overseas?
Work on getting a Scottish Highland Red Stag hunt added to your list.... thats one trip I plan to make before I die.....
Thanks again for the loads.... let me know if you fing that data.

posted Hide Post
As promised, here are the recommended Stats for the 250gr. .323 Woodleigh bullets..... direct from Woodleigh...

Many Thanks to Geoff McDonald:

For 8 x 57 IS
You are correct, there is no published data that I know of.
Use Federal 210 primer
50 grains Hodgdon H4350 for 2250 fps.
This is quite safe in terms of pressure and delivers excellent results on game.
You could also use IMR4350.
Your observation that commercial 8mm ammo is loaded to "low" pressure is also correct. Let us know what you think after you have tried them.
Regards,
Geoff McDonald.
WOODLEIGH BULLETS
PO Box 15, Murrabit, VIC, 3579, Australia
Ph. 61 3 5457 2226
Fax. 61 3 5457 2339
zedfield@iinet.net.au
www.woodleighbullets.com.au

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that load info from Geoff! Just as a point of reference: I've been using 51.0 grs of IMR-4350 with the 220 gr Woodleigh RN for 2400 fps in my Rem 700 Classic in 8x57JS (24" barrel, W-W cases, WLR primer). I have a couple of boxes of the 250 gr Woodleighs but I haven't tried working up a load yet.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote