Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8X50R austrian
 Login/Join

posted
I have gotten a lovely sporting rifle in 8X50R Austrian caliber. I can make the cases from 8X56 Hungarian brass, but the bullets have me stumped. The rifle slugs 0.316 land, and 0.329 groove. I am told this is the standard for Austrian and Hungarian rifles. Does anyone know of a source for bullets this size? I am especially interested in 160-180 grain pills if possible. I am told the standard weight bullet was 205 grains, and that seems a little heavy for the southern whitetail.

Posts: 3 | Location: albany, georgia | Registered: 01 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Graf's has the bullets in a pointed soft point. I just weighed one here as I'm typing and it's 205.4 grains. This bullet may be a little heavy for Bambi but it won't be moving very fast from an 8 x 50R where it might be overkill from an 8 x 56R.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There could be a problem:
According to CIP data bullet dia of the 8x50R (not 8x56R!)is 8.22(.323). If you follow the rule of loading bullets which have the same diameter as your bore the outside neck dimension of your cartridge could be much to large for that particular chamber and your gun can explode. That's similar to the 8mm J-S bore problem.
So be carefull!!!

Heiner

Posts: 14 | Location: Northern Germany | Registered: 21 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HD:
According to CIP data bullet dia of the 8x50R (not 8x56R!)is 8.22(.323). If you follow the rule of loading bullets which have the same diameter as your bore the outside neck dimension of your cartridge could be much to large for that particular chamber and your gun can explode. That's similar to the 8mm J-S bore problem.
So be carefull!!!

Heiner

This is true!! The original diameter of the 8 x 50R was .323". However if the barrel was slugged at .329" then either it was rebarrelled or rearsenaled to 8 x 56R. Good idea to slug the chamber to make sure exactly what you have as maybe it is not what it appears.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
quote:
Originally posted by HD:
So be carefull!!!

Heiner

This is true!! The original diameter of the 8 x 50R was .323". However if the barrel was slugged at .329" then either it was rebarrelled or rearsenaled to 8 x 56R. Good idea to slug the chamber to make sure exactly what you have as maybe it is not what it appears.

IF there's any possibility of the chamber being for the 8X56R rather than the 8X50R, a chamber cast is called for.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Easier than making the brass from 8x56R Hunky, trim 3.5mm off a 7.r2x54R Rusky case and go.
Besides the Russian brass is easier to find.

Bullet diameter, spec.s be dammed, you know what your barrel is (I had 3 8x50R's, all had .329 grooves), shoot .329 jacketed or gas checked lead, or run flat base .323 slugs through it (the flat based bullets will opturate easier).

BTW, paint your hunting clips a bright color, that way you'll have a better chance of finding them after you chamber the last round.

BTW, IIRC I still have some 8x50R NORMA brass (converted 7.62x54R), if you want it, only 10pcs or so.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote