New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lazzeroni Vs Weatherby
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which is more powerfull more flat trajectory ecc between 7.82 Warbird and 30/378 Weat Mag??

Posts: 75 | Location: Italy | Registered: 24 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Warbird has it beat by about 200fps, thus, making it more powerful. The 30-378 is more akin to the 300 Remington Ultra mag.

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Mikefromyu>
posted
Disagree! I would like to see fair comparison( same pressure, same barrel lenght etc.)30/378 is very strong case and volumen is almost same.
Maybe someone who has made more experiments should comment.

<30-378Weatherby>
posted
Hello,
I actually own both of these cartridges and I have been developing loads for them for a while now. I have found that while the Lazzeroni is slightly faster, it does not hold its accuracy as well for heavier bullets. The Weatherby does much better with a heavier bullet (180 grain and up). The Lazzeroni is slightly faster (100-150fps) but only performs well with lighter bullets. So it just depends on what you plan on using the rifle for. I think they are both great guns and they have been a fun project for me on the weekends. So if you want speed and accuracy for lighter bullets go with the Lazzeroni, but if you want accuracy for heavier bullets the Weatherby is a good choice. Besides what is a hundred feet per second when your bullet has a muzzle velocity well above 3000fps, it will take down basically anything you want at that velocity. Hope this helps. By the way I own a 300 ultra mag also and the 30-378 clearly outperforms the 300 ultra mag.

[ 02-21-2003, 22:03: Message edited by: 30-378Weatherby ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Curious about the barrel rate-of-twist on your Lazzeroni and on your Weatherby as the implication from what you wrote is the it's something about the case and the the barrel.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
If you're trying to make a decision on the two based a just a few fps, consider the quality of the brass available for both.

For the Lazzeroni your are tied to only their brass produced by Mast (Bell.) It's absolute JUNK. I got their brass that varied as much as 50g!!! In one 20 case lot the variance was 10g! If for no other reason than the brass, I'd consider the 30-378 first by miles.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trautman

All else being equal they would have about the same velocity.

Undoubtedly brass is the big plus the 30/378 has. I see you are in Italy. In Australia if one was to get a Lazzeroni chamering you would need to get plenty of brass for it. On the other hand the 30/378 can also be made from 338/378, 378, 416 and 460 brass. Is there a Weatherby agent in Italy, if so I think the 30/378 would be the only choice.

According to both case dimemsions and Lazzeroni himself 416 Rigby brass is too large across the solid head to make a Lazzeroni case.

Mike

[ 02-22-2003, 07:28: Message edited by: Mike375 ]

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ok thanx for all

Posts: 75 | Location: Italy | Registered: 24 June 2002Reply With Quote