New
Find
Notify
Tools

Temperature INSENSITIVE powders
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
During our hunting seasons the temperatures can range from the teens to upper 70's may even low 80's in as little as a week or 2.
I currently try to use Hodgdons Extreme powders where possible, but wonder if there are other powder manufactures that market powders of similar temperature insensitive properties.
Please be specific as to make and powder designation.
Thanks
HL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John Barsness writes that Alliant's RL 15 is temperature insensitive.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
ADI makes the Hodgdon Extreme powders and they are reported and reputed to be tolerant of extremes in tempreture. Vel and POI are said to remain fairly constant.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The powder I have used from Alaska and Alberta at -22 below to 100 degrees in Africa is Alliant. There were no percievable difference in performance at those extremes. To be specific RL-22 in a .358 STA and RL-15 in a .416 Rem. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought I read some where that RL-22 is known to BE temperature sensitive.

I've used RL-15 and RL-17 and it hasn't been temerpature sensitive for me.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Posts: 83 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Vihtavuori powders are very stable & give very uniform velocities. The N500 series are double based powders like the Re15 etc and should be good. I use N560 in my 280AI with 160 gr bullets & get great results. I also use N160 a fair bit in various cartridges.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Personal opinion is the powders I`ve tried that claim to be tolerant of temps changes are only true when the temps are in the higher range. I don`t see any real difference from say 10-60 F with 90% of the powders out there. From 70-90+ I do see a difference though. The Hodgdon powders appear to be pretty good, and from what I`ve heard but have no experiance with, are the Ramshot powders are good too.
Below 5-10 F I stay in if possible and don`t bother going out shooting unless I`ve no choice.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent luck with VithaVouri powders. The same with the Hodgdon extruded powders. IMR 4064 has been very good as well. I can't say the same with RL-15. That is only powder I have ever used that has blown primers in hot weather with loads that were developed in cool weather with no issues. Same jug of powder, same brick of primers, the same 500 count box of bullets and the same brass.

PaPa 260

Posts: 109 | Location: Extreme Southwest Indiana | Registered: 14 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So far, I hae found IMR 8208 to be very stable in cold weather.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote