New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Chronograph?
 Login/Join

<XTARHEEL>
posted
I really need to get a chronograph. I don't need all the advanced features, basicly speed and bare bones statistics. I was considering either the Pact Model 1 or the Chrony Beta Master. Does anyone have any recomendations on which way to go? Thank you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot through Chrony's, Pact and Oehler and the most deviation I have found, shooting the exact same loads, was no more than 5 fps.

My suggestion is to get the best deal on which ever one you want.

I don't believe there is enough difference between the 60 dollar chrony's and the 350 dollar Oehler's to make a difference, other than price.

I was given an Oehler as a present, but If I would have bought one myself, knowing what I know, I would have bought a Chrony. [Big Grin]

Posts: 135 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've owned SHOOTING CHRONY and COMPETITION ELECTRONICS units and must say that the COMPETITION ELECTRONICS unit is by far superior IMHO. As far as accuracy, I could not say one was any different than the other. The comp elec unit thought has a much bigger sweet spot, and needs much less light to work properly. Its larger, but lighter, and the people at COMPETITION ELECTRONICS are great to work with if you happen to say shoot the top off you chrony [Frown]

Posts: 198 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've run the stats on the Shooting Chrony, and the repeatability is just a trifle over 1 fps, which is 'dang good'. Full details are in the July Varmint Hunter.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<XTARHEEL>
posted
Thanks for the info. A Google search turned up a Competition Electronics Pro Chrono Plus for $89.95 from Rush International and they pay shipping. I'm faxing my order over right now.

<XTARHEEL>
posted
So much for Rush International. No answer on their fax line or phone line. Guess they bit the dust. Need another source.

<bigcountry>
posted
I use a shooting chrony, and it serves me ok. But the conditions have to be right or your always questioning some data points. You might have to experiment with tape over the sensors or using the diffuses or not. I know people with the oehler don't have these issures, but just don't count on the chrony that heavy to make decisions about my load.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, this is just my opinion and it is probably worth just what you are paying for it, BUT, I would not have a Chrony for free!

I have seen any number of people using those silly things and getting numbers that were totally unbelievable.

I personally own an Oehler and a Pact chronograph. They are both excellant instruments and agree pretty darned well.

I have been at the local rifle range any number of times and seen people using a Chrony and getting numbers from their rifles that JUST AINT POSSIBLE! On more than one occasion I have offered to let them chronograph their guns on my equipment. They, of course, did not like the numbers that my chronograph got, never mind it agreed with what their particular caliber "should" shoot.

Suit yourself, but I would buy something of better quality than a Chrony.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Valkyrie>
posted
I have a Chrony and it works good. The only probelem I have is it seems to be very senstive to muzzle blast. I have to keep it at least 12 feet away. Any closer I get screwy data.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Valkyrie : Interesting handle. Does this refer to a four wheeled vehicle, inquiring minds want to know?
muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a chrony.
It does not trigger reliably and gets bad readings from muzzle blast.

I haven't used it in years.

I would like to find a chronograph that always triggers.

Scopes and counters have adjustable triggers.

[ 07-11-2003, 06:54: Message edited by: Clark ]

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I've got a Chrony, too.

$65 Canadian for a rebuilt model. No bells and whistles..

I get about the same readings as when I have used my buddy's Pact Chronograph.

Set's up quick, and it doesn't make you cry when/if you shoot it [Big Grin]

I have a pencil, so I can write down the FPS from the screen, and I have a computer, so I can crunch numbers with that... [Wink]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted Hide Post
We did a test recently with several Chrony's. One F1, Alfa, Beta Master and Gamma. We placed them so we manage to shot thru all with the same load. The Gamma displayed more then 130fps above the Alfa that displayed the lowest velocity. The F1 and Beta Master where displaying almost the same, just 4-8fps deviation. This was 50fps above the F1.

We did also changes the order so the all of the Chronys once stand in the front and in the back, with the same results. Light condition was the same and new batteries in all of them.

The only thing I know of is that the Gamma where one of the old model with 9" Poly-Diffusers, all other with 14" Poly-Diffusers.

Next time I will bring an Oehler and a Pact chronograph and test it against some Chrony's.

[ 07-11-2003, 13:09: Message edited by: Tomjac@SluttStykke ]

Posts: 191 | Location: Kolbjørnsvik, Norway | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I found an Ohler 35P a few years back; used and quite a bargin. In-line comparison with my Shooting Chrony (bottom end device) didn't show much accuracy difference, but the Ohler is much more reliable in picking up shots.

My favorite function is the printer - just tear off the results and tape 'em to your target! Makes record keeping simple. The comp-u-interface devices on other chronographs look good, but I don't bring a computer to the range.

Posts: 3 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 12 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tomjac@SluttStykke,

I've had the same results as you found. Went and got an Oehler and never looked back.

I'll be interested in the comparison you do too.
Chrony brand chronos have wasted more of my time and caused more frustration than all things combined. I didn't ever get any meaningfull data coming from the ones I had so I think they're junk, the data, when they did read, was just always suspect.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried the four most popular. They can all be effected by muzzle blast.

For three years I've been using Competition Electronics. Much larger area through which to shoot. Works better in direct sun as well as shade. Very easy to upload data into my computer.

I've shot identical loads through pact, CE, Chrony and Oehler on the same afternoon. 260Remington and my 12 guage trap load. Difference was within SD for the load.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote