New
Find
Notify
Tools

trimming lots of brass from lots of cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
so i was making 219 wasp cases out of 30/30 brass which means cutting off quite a bit of brass off and i was making a 100 or cases.how to do it quick? took a piece of wood and cut in a thickness about 1/16" thicker than the finished case length. drilled holes in the wood piece just about the size of the case body and stuck the cases in the holes - clamped it to a bench and took a 4" grinder across the tops. finished with case trimmer

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can do much the same with a table saw and an old plywood blade. Brass cuts easy.

One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
I use a Dremel Tool with the thin cut-off wheel. No ragged edges and you can cut to almost the length you need.Saves lots of case trimmer time.
Very fast.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used a pipe cutter in the past, but recently moved to chucking them in the lathe and parting them off, quicker than the pipe cutter.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I've used a Dremel tool with the fiber reinforced cutting wheel when making 30 Herrett cases from 30/30 brass. Make your rough cut with the Dremel and finish up with your trimmer.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Lots of brass to trim? Get one of these. Just awesome!
Worlds Finest Trimmer II

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
For all my case trimming I use my 35 year-old Lyman Trimmer with the electric drill attachment.
I tend not to do any loading steps in race mode so, and I'm just guessing here, it probably takes me 20-25 seconds to trim a 30/06 case to a x57 length. Then there's another 5-8 seconds to chamfer the "slag" both inside and out.
Works for me.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a lot of cases to trim it's worthwhile to invest in one of these.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2...t-off-saw-61900.html

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use my 12 inch lathe for that job.

Posts: 17265 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Rusty

I like the idea of the little crow but it falls terribly short with no inside nor outside chamfer

The cutter is just an endmill

I recommend the little crow to a friend....I regret that now

The RCBS caliber specific cutter with inside and outside chamfer outshines for speed but doesnt help the OP

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at the Giraud. It is not inexpensive, but the cut length indexes off the datum line. If you are careful with how you re-size, trim length is within .001-.002". And cases are de-burred and inside chamfered as well.

I sincerely believe it is the best on the market...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was given a C&H power case trimmer, but it takes a longer shanked pilot then my forster pilots.
I can't find it on the C&H website if they still have pilots for it or not. Anyone know?

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
Look at the Giraud. It is not inexpensive, but the cut length indexes off the datum line. If you are careful with how you re-size, trim length is within .001-.002". And cases are de-burred and inside chamfered as well.

Regardless of price this machine won't address the OP

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
buddy uses that with a custom jig to make 300blk from 223.

quote:
Originally posted by M16:
If you have a lot of cases to trim it's worthwhile to invest in one of these.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2...t-off-saw-61900.html

Posts: 6480 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Ted, It doesn't have a chamfer in or out. I use an RCBS Trim Mate for that.

I realize it's an endmill. Along with the Trim Mate it cranks them out.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
If it had the inside/outside chamfer it would be a great tool (Little Crow)

The sole reason I use the RCBS combo cutting head is that after trimming you are done 100%

But like I said....speed vs lots of brass in the op's case is length of brass not pcs/volume

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Ted, is this trimmer the one you are talking about?
RCBS trimmer

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:

How so, Ted? It trims to length, de-burrs and inside chamfers, all at one time.

Unless you have used one, you are mistaken. Nothing personal, but you are incorrect this time... I have one, and it is incredible.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

How so, Ted? It trims to length, de-burrs and inside chamfers, all at one time.

Unless you have used one, you are mistaken. Nothing personal, but you are incorrect this time... I have one, and it is incredible.

Please explane how the op would use a Giraud to cut 30-30 brass to length for the forming of the .219 wasp?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is really quite simple, since the 219 Donaldson Wasp COL is longer than the datum line on the 30-30... all that is required is to trim to the Wasp length plus probably an extra .030" or so in the Giraud with the 30-30 die, then re-size in the Wasp FL die. Depending on how close he calculates, he might get by with only one trimming.

Or: he can re-size to the Wasp, then cut the neck to the desired length using the Wasp die.

Either way works. The only possible question would be whether or not Giraud offers the 219 Wasp die. (And he probably doesn't, but that was not your question.)

Like I said: unless you own one, you really have no idea how efficient they are...

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
True

but tell me this....

Do you hold the brass in your hand during the cutting process the same as the little crow?

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
True

but tell me this....

Do you hold the brass in your hand during the cutting process the same as the little crow?

Ted,
Does that in your opinion flaw the process?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
True

but tell me this....

Give it up... you are fighting a losing battle. I answered your questions. As Rusty said: "Does that in your opinion somehow flaw the process?"

But to answer your question (again...), technically, no. You push the case against the carbide cutting head, and when it stops cutting, you turn the case about half a turn backward to finish and fine tune the cut, then remove the case and do it again. The die is spring loaded; you push down until it contacts the cutting head, then continue to push as metal is removed.

There is a video on Youtube. Watch it. It might show you something that would eliminate questions.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
You guys and your fancy equipment. Wink

I've trimmed 100s of cases using my Basic Forester with a power adaptor so I could drive it with my drill. A Lot were 30&35 Herrets. Would be the same as what you are doing.
coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
True

but tell me this....

Give it up... you are fighting a losing battle. I answered your questions. As Rusty said: "Does that in your opinion somehow flaw the process?"

But to answer your question (again...), technically, no. You push the case against the carbide cutting head, and when it stops cutting, you turn the case about half a turn backward to finish and fine tune the cut, then remove the case and do it again. The die is spring loaded; you push down until it contacts the cutting head, then continue to push as metal is removed.

There is a video on Youtube. Watch it. It might show you something that would eliminate questions.

Give what up?

Listen....I can do without the jackass attitude

I asked a question....you respond with smartass remarks.....gfy

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
quote:
True

but tell me this....

Ted,
Does that in your opinion flaw the process?

Not at all Rusty

When I used the little crow I did find that latex gloves helped with the grip

My fingers did get sore after the first hundred so I wouldnt use it for 500+ p-dog trimming

The Rcbs machine you picture plus the 3 way cutter is what I use for large volumes say 100 to 1k

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information, Ted.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
True

but tell me this....

Give what up?

Listen....I can do without the jackass attitude

I asked a question....you respond with smartass remarks.....gfy

Uh, no... you asked several questions. I did not respond smart alecky; I said you were fighting a losing battle. And as I saw it, you were.

You have an awfully short fuse. Get over yourself.