New
Find
Notify
Tools

What type of scales do you use
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
About ten years ago my father in law and I bought the Rock Chuck Master Reloading kit. With it we got the RCBS 505 beam scale and that is what we have been using since. We have recently been contemplating an upgrade, but don't really know whether it would be warranted or not. What are your thoughts about the 505 scale as well as your thoughts about other beam scales. Also, how do you feel about the electronic scales out there... the good, bad and ugly.

Thanks.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I received an RCBS 5-0-2 beam scale with my Turret Press reloading kit a couple of years ago. It works just fine, however I purchased a Micro-Pro electronic scale and I like using it much more. It has calibration weights and a self calibration feature that gives good confidence in my loads. My first one stop working after a short time but RCBS replaced it with a new one. By the way the beam scale measures .1 grain different than the electronic scale which gives me confidence on my back-up scale.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
what do you want to do??

I have a 505 on my bench that i used for years with a 55 powder measure and a trickler.

i have a dillon digital flat scale for weighin loads up to 3 1/2 oz shotgun, slugs and the like, bullets and brass.

I use a lyman autoscale it has a balance beam and two feed tubes one course and the other is fine. its adjustable for speed which reduces over shoot.

I have had to change my method for charging and seating the bullet and it works very well for me. I weigh every load.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
For sorting brass/bullets/etc. an electronic scale is much faster.

For weighing the same powder charge again and again, both are roughly equally fast.

Beam scales are more robust and simple.

Electronic scales can be more problematic...i.e. electrical interference, warmup time, drift, electrical surge or moisture damage, etc.

Beam scales are inherently more accurate, but probably not by enough to matter on the reloading bench.

Choose accordingly...one of each would be easily justifiable IMHO!

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased the same kit several years ago, so I have a 505 scale. At the end of last year I looked at upgrading my reloading equipment, dies, processes, etc..as I wanted to improve consistentcy of my loaded rounds for long range shooting both for competition and hunting.

I purchased one of the new Pact Powder Dispensers and electronic scales...The electronic scales are much better for weighing components although they can be sensitive to air circulating and static...I also purchased a 10-10 RCBS scale an upgrade to the 505...

Neither of my new scales are any more accurate than the 505, however, the electronic scales make weighing components much easier...Your 505 is a good scale!

Why are you considering upgrading? What calibers do you reload? How much do you reload?, etc. There may be other upgrades that may be more useful to you.

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old Redding scale that I recently returned to them for service after 30 years of good functionning. I also picked up an RCBS 5-0-5 at a gun show to keep as a back up. It also works well, and now I use both to check the performance of the other. Both are excellent products that I'd recommend. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 505 is all I need

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of beam scales and an electronic one too (lyman 1000). I think a cheap scale made by any of the major manufacturers and well taken care of will provide a long and accurate life and is probably all anyone really needs, but of course electronic ones can be more convenient.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 505 is an Ohaus and I have been using it since 1973. I recently bought a used Dillon D-Terminator as a supposed step up in the world. On a good day, the Dillon will give results that are within .1 gr of the 505, but it may not do it 2 times in a row. I think I'll stick with the 505 except for weighing components.

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I have one Redding circa 1955 that I've used since "57" It has a fluid damping vein which I have never used. I have another Redding I got some where along the way that is older but serviceable. I've owned 2 electronic load cell types that from normal handling, for me ,BROKE.I think those Reddings are going to last longer than I do. See my widow if you are still in the market. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote