Find
Notify
Tools

WC680 in 44 mag with 300 Grain XTP? ? ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
This is with a 300 grain XTP loaded to the bottom crimp ring. That long cylinder in the Super Redhawk is handy like that!Anyone outn there shoot any of these loads across a chronograph?

I ain't saying what I am shooting, but as long as I can tip it up and the cases fall free, I ain't real concerned.

Did have to take the reduced strength Hammer spring out of the gun. In this cold weather it took up to 3 strikes to fire some primers Here I was blaming my Dillon for not properly seating the primers!

Any chrono data appreciated.

LouisB

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TCLouis,

I know you inquired about the 300 grainers, but I have shot the 44-250-K (265 grains) with WC-680 from my 9.5 SRH. Velocities are as follows�23 grains = 1047 fps�24 grains = 1082 fps�26 grains = 1204 fps. That might give you some idea as to your velocities. AIN�T RECOMMENDING ANY OF THESE LOADS SINCE IT IS SURPLUS POWDER AND DATA AIN�T READILY AVAILABLE. But they work for me. Accuracy was just fair.

I have the lightest Wolff spring in my trigger and the next to lightest in my hammer. The lightest in the hammer caused misfires also as you indicated. Still the trigger pull is greatly improved over the factory springs. Good-luck with WC-680 in the 44 Magnum. I think it is a bit slow burning to be very efficient in the 44 Magnum�BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Quote:

TCLouis,

AIN'T RECOMMENDING ANY OF THESE LOADS SINCE IT IS SURPLUS POWDER AND DATA AIN�T READILY AVAILABLE. But they work for me. Accuracy was just fair.
. . . . . I think it is a bit slow burning to be very efficient in the 44 Magnum�BCB

I shot the last loads just before dark and the fireball was significantly less than what I get from WC820 or H110 so it is burning well in the 9.5 inch barrel,

Accuracy seems to be there which is one reason I am interested in velocity. I really don't think I would dven tryu it with less than the 300 grtainers, but am guessing (hoping)that the extra bullet weight will get the 680 burning!

Thanx for the chrono info, it is just aboutwhat I was guessing. I guess I will chrono some loads in this and the 7mm TCU and 4570 in the morning and hunt tomorrow afternoon!
Thanx again.
LouisB
Would still love to hear from someone with a condom 300 grain report.

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Louis, Shooting Times(Mar. 92) got a velocity of 1304fps from a 7.5" Shilen barrel with 25grs. W680, but they got their best accuracy with H4227, around 24grs.(work up, of course) that should give you about 1350fps in your SRH, they didn't like W680 cause it was too dirty, just a note, they used 22grs. H4227 with an SSK 320grs TFCN hardcast bullet for a velocity of 1351, I use 21grs. 296 with that same bullet for 1400fps and very good accuracy out of my 7.5" Redhawk. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote