Find
Notify
Tools

Speer bullets - why the indifference?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
When I started loading in the early 70s I used Speers a lot or Sierra. Unless you cast there was not a whole lot more available then. I use a Hornady 160 G. today for my 6.5X54 M/S as they are the only ones who make it + I have been pleased.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks again everyone.

A member called Ratswhiskers replied on the other thread that he had run Quickload over the problem and come up with a load of 70 grains of RE-19, but suggested starting 10% lower. Boring as that sounds, and against my hopes of high velocity, I suspect my tight-assed rifle will show pressure even before it gets too far up that scale.

However, I've retabulated your Speer data, TJAY, printed it out with Ratswhiskers' stuff and put copies in two different manuals for future reference.

Not sure what your acronym of MEAT stands for, George, but I do hope to slip these bullets between ribs. The usual shot when walking through our bush is either at a sambar with both his head and bum facing you or of ginger hams jumping over a log - and for that lurk I prefer long-and-heavy, round-nosed bullets. One I have used over the years has been the Speer Hot-Cor 275-grain but it never seemed to be in the rifle when I got lucky.

My intention for the 225-grainers, though, is shots at 2-300 yards, where the deer are hopefully standing sideways, unaware of my presence.

Have you used any of the DeepCurl Speers, Packy?

Posts: 5093 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Thanks TJAY, that is exactly the sort of stuff I want. Is that from official Speer info?

If so, I expected the RE-19 starting load to be even lower. Unfortunately I don't expect to get near 74 grains as my rifle seems to have tight dimensions - or else I'm just chicken.

Sambarman.
The RL19 powder, is that the same as R19 listed in the Woodleigh loading manual?
If so, Woodleigh starts at 66 grains, and max out at 73 with it owns 225 grs PP SN bullets.

If that is the same powder, the loadings for the 338 WM is more or less identical with the Deep Curl and the Woodleigh PP.
Or have I missed something here?

I`m loading for the 338-06 and have 100 pc of the 225 grs Deep Curl, but have been in doubt about using them reading the warning note in the box.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks Arild,
I haven't got the Woodleigh book but have noticed some of its AR2209 loads seem straight out of the ADI manual. That RE-19 load for the PP SN bullets seems a fraction milder than Alliant's Accubond figures, though, and way down from their Speer BTSN 78 grains max.

However, from the conversation that's unfolded with friends and on the 'tribulations' thread nearby, I think I might put a copy of the Speer tables and Ratswhiskers' Quickload data in the box and seal it up for posterity - or maybe offer it at the next hunting-association auction night.

Posts: 5093 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hadn’t thought about Speer in many years. Used to shoot a lot of Speer bullets at deer and varmints. Have not loaded/shot a Speer bullet in 20+ years.
There’s better bullets.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Which bullets would you recommend, df06?