Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 Win A-max load
 Login/Join

posted
I just today tryed what I believed would be my next favorite bullet, but boy was I surprised. I was shooting the Hornady A-max 105 grain at a speed of 2650 fps with my Blaser rifle with 1:10 twist at a target 110 ft away. I cant tell if there was any grouping unless you call a square 1 X 1 foot a grouping. Powder I use for loading is VVN-160 in this case 38 grain. If you have any idea why this happend, and how to get over it please tell me. Please

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your twist isn't fast enough. Hornady says twist rate must be 1:9" or faster for this bullet. Not sure you can get over it unless you drive the bullet really fast. Probably faster than you should.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I dont think I'll use this bullet anymore. I've found the 100 gn Interlock BTSP to be very accurate with 2" groupings a 220 yards.
Thanks for the fast reply.

And I ment of course 110 yards not ft.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're welcome. And whether it was feet or yards or meters, that group was just plum lousy!

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
If you want a 105 grain bullet, try the Speer 105 SP.. it shoots well in my Model 70 which has a one in 10 twist...

If you like plastic tipped bullets, I'd recommend going down to the 95 grain Ballistic Tip or the 90 grain BTip, depending on the velocity you want to achieve...

both are very accurate, very flat shooting and are pretty darn deadly on some pretty good sized deer...

I load them anywhere between 2200 fps to 3200 fps... and they perform well from both extremes and everything in between..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote