New
Find
Notify
Tools

70 gr. Barnes TSX in AR-15
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've recently built an AR-15 w/ a rock river arms 20" varmint upper 223 caliber w/ 1 in 8 twist barrel. It shoots 75 gr HP match bullets into 1/2" at 100 yds.

So, I Picked up some 53 grain and 70 gr. Barnes Triple shocks in .224 caliber today. The 53 grainers don't look like there will be a problem with overall length. The 70 grainers look awfully long. Has anyone tried the 70 grain triple shocks in an AR-15. If so did you have a problem with OAL, what OAL did you use, and were your loads compressed loads. Although I've considerable experience reloading for my Rem. 700 and H&R Varmint Ultra in 223, I'm a novice when it comes to reloading for an AR. Any help or advice will be appreciated.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to follow up on this to see if anyone had been able to develop a load for the 70 gr. TSX that works through an AR.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't do alot of work with my colt with a 1:7 twist but.....
It will not shoot anything smaller than a 68 grainer EXCEPT it shot the 53 grain tsx decent.
I really didn't do alot of load work with it but I was happy to see it liked it.
Remember the tsx's are very long for wt....perhaps a 53 grainer has a shank closely matching a 68 grain lead bullet.
I wouldnt' be crazy about the 70 grainer in the .223......I would rather have the speed of the 53....I think it will penetrate a deer broadside plenty well.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks kraky, I've got soem of the 53 gr. bullets on the way, just checking to see what kind of OAL and velocity people were able to get with the 70's, if they would fit at all.

Do you mind sharing your load with the 53 gr.?

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well....I'm gonna eat some crow here. I checked my records and see I don't have the load logged. I went and checked my stash of loaded ammo and see I have some 50 grain barnes loaded. I have some loaded to the mid 26 grain level with varget and 748. I do remember shooting them and I do remember that I was surprised that they did shoot good for being so light. I haven't shot my AR probably for 5 years so it makes sense now that they aren't tsx's. I guess the good news is the tsx should shoot even better than these older barnes.
If you get them "singing" good let us know what load you came up with.
By the way if you e-mail barnes and tell them what bullets you have they will quickly e-mail you back their data for the tsx.....at least they have for me in the past.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote