THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Electric Dispenser/ scale whose product do you prefer and why?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric Dispenser/ scale whose product do you prefer and why?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am posting this as a discussion not a poll, mostly because I am not familiar with what is available. I have an RCBS electric pwdr dispenser mated to its corresponding electric scale.

It is ridiculously slow and cantankerous! Temperamental too!!

What else is available and why do you like yours?

Thanks,
Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always heard the RCBS unit was top of the line.
That said I have the Lyman 1200 and the unit PACT makes.

I like both of them. I find the Lyman is faster to set up and change loads. The PACT is more sensitive.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I have the Lyman 1200, version 3, the "fastest" version. It over runs the target weight almost every single throw. When it does over run it by .3 grs or more, it says "cal" on the front indicating that the scale needs recalibration. That is a false indicator. The scale is NOT misreading the weight, it's just that the feeder has thrown too much powder into the pan.

The measure over runs because the powder feed doesn't shut off until it hits the target measurement. So if you want 50.0 grs of whatever powder, the measure throws powder at full speed until the scale reads 50.0. The problem with that is even though the feed tube stops spinning, the powder will still fall out of the tube for a couple of tenths of a grain.

This varies by powder, some are less prone than others, but it is a huge pain in the butt. I learned pretty early to ignore the "cal" when it over runs, and to set my charge weight on the scale for a few tenths UNDER what I really want.

What is needed is a slow down cycle, that slows it down to a trickle a couple of tenths before it hits the target charge weight. Then it can "step trickle" until it hits the exact weight.

I still use mine, but I'm familiar with it's problems. If I had it to do over again, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't buy it, not for close to $300. I don't think it's worth it.

I've wanted to play with the RCBS unit, but I want to try one before I plunk down another $300 only to find out it does the same crap that the Lyman does.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The older slower Lyman did not do that Slowpoke. That is the one I have.

I use my old Lyman mostly when I am working up loads and only doing 3-5 rounds of each weight as it is just a matter of changing the desired charge weight you want it to throw. My PACT must throw a test run each time you change the load. But if you are ready to load a bunch it is a really nice set up and it is made in the USA.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use an old Lyman Autoscale.
It is a pair of power tricklers mated to an Ohaus beam scale. It is adjustable so it does not overrun. If it is too slow just buy two of them.
I like the Autoscale because it is a mechanical scale and not prone to lying to you like a sticky electronic scale. It was also cheap at $25 to purchase the used one short of parts and $50 to get it refurbished. I have since bought 2 more for $50 each used. They are not digital meaning obsolete and out of style.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS version. It is by no means perfect. I do believe overall it's faster than me dumping a charge close to what I want and then using the hand trickler to bring it to weight. However, it will on about 1 of every 4 loads overshoot. It runs quickly to about a grain of the target weight and then slows way down to trickle in to the target weight.

However, it can control the flow of the powder out of the tube perfectly. It kind of depends on how the full the tube is. Sometimes it just has more in the end than anticipated and a bunch of powder spits out on that last little turn of the tube. So I end up pulling the pan and dumping the powder back into the hopper and start over again.

In the end again I think it's faster than me as I sometimes overrun to. Worth $300? Prolly not.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use two of the old Lyman Autoscales, each loaded with a powder I shoot weekly. I also have two of the new Lyman 1200 auto dispensors, both series II, they have given me zero problems. One may stop .1 grain off once in a while, which is not a problem. I also use a Lyman 1500 electronic scale for new load developement. I also set the Autoscales within .1 grain of the actual weight I want and finish on the 1500. I shoot three days a week, weather permitting, generaly 5 rifles per session. I shoot on my own private benchs either with a good buddy or son or grandsons, or by my lonesome, which is sometimes very good. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2362 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own both a Lyman and an RCBS. Haven't tried the Hornady that is now on the market but have sold a couple of them and the customers seem to be happy with the results. I use it more to dispense powder and then weigh the charge on an RCBS 10-10 balance beam scale. Time consuming, yes but accuracy is what I am chasing so the extra time usually is worth the results

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Rcbs chargemaster combo here. I've had it for about 4 years now and it's been one of the best reloading investments I've ever made. I'd say it throws the charge right on the money about 75% of the time: meaning, if I say 50 grains, I get 50.0 grains and not 50.3. The scale is dead on, it's just the overspill that pushes it. This is very powder dependent. Ball powders are typically near 100% and sticks are closer to 70%. Takes about 30 seconds to throw a charge.

It's really been a wonderful tool for me. I haven't touched a beam scale in years.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prometheus II works as fast as I can seat a bullet, and is accurate to 1 kernel of extruded powder.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I have a PACT. I just got the dispenser back from PACT for waranty work and have done any thing with it but make sure it works since It came back last week. I've had very good results with it. It throws .1 over every so often. I'll be doing some work with it later this week to see if it is faster than it was or if I just think it was the other night.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote