Find
Notify
Tools

Fail Safe's
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted
Does anyone tried the Fail Safes (180 grains) in the .300 Win Mag ??

Which results could be expected in game performance, and group size ?

While I used with great results the Barnes X and XLC on game (even Africa's plains game) I'l like to try another premium bullet in the quest for better accuracy.

Tks! Gustavo

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Gustavo,

I have used the .308/180 FailSafe bullets in my .308 Win -- it is not a .300 Mag of course. Accuracy was excellent, and all the animals died.

As far as accuracy goes, the most accurate premium bullet I know is the Swift A-Frame. Of course, that is in my rifles and friends' rifles. Your experience may vary.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My buddy love them in his 30/06. We loaded some shells with the 180 Failsafe a rew years ago. He has three kills with three shots. Aaron love them!! He has never used a shell that has had more knock down power in his 20 years of hunting. They have not moved more than a step. The post mortum on one had a baseball size exit hole (that fell in its track and "ate dirt " as Aaron said). It did he the shoulder blade bone. This year's deer (a 8 pointer with a 22 inch spread taken this weekend) took one step. Very impressive bullet. He could only compare a 12 gauge slug with the same power at close range. He has tryed ballistic tips and core locks

If my memory serves right this is a mid/high charge of IMR 4831. We did't max it out because we didn't have time and the accuracy was great.

The Failsafe is a little bit more forgiving than the X bullet because of the contruction. It fits more bores better. (I personally think it is because the lead back half might seal the bore better).

We take some ribbing at hunting camp because of our bullets (I shoot a 25/06 with 90 grain X bullets). But the performace has been worth it.

Have Fun

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
Gustavo,
I loaded 180 gr Failsafes in my 300 WinMag using Re 22 this past season and had excellent accuracy results at the range shooting out to 300 yards. At one time there was two versions of the .30 cal Failsafe, one for the magnums and one for the non-magnums. I don't remember the velocity cut-off that was listed on the box but I think it may have been around 2800 fps. I'm not sure if there are still 2 versions or not. Check the Combined Technology web site and they may have the info there. Unfortunately during season the moose I wanted failed to show himself so I did not get a chance to try them on game. I have also had excellent accuracy with the Failsafe in my 270.

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
<kromer>
posted
used them in a 3006 on moose and nop I did not like what I saw. no mushroom great if you need to save the meat bad if you might become the meat!

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Between the failsafes and X bullets, if you can get them to shoot well they are the best in town. This is just my opinion. I like the X bullet because of lower cost for the same performance. Shot a bear with the 180gr X, 2 feet of penitration and 4 broken bones couldn't stop one. Exit hole left lots of blood for tracking... that's if he'ed been able totake another step.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote