Find
Notify
Tools

376 steyr vs 375 Ruger?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted
What advantage does one have over the other? Seems to me ballistically they are about the same and about the same COL. Why so much hype on the Ruger and hardly hear much about the 376?

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 885 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read Jeff's article:

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Hawkeye375.htm

W/ no signs of excessive pressure, he's getting more velocity from a 375R using a 300TSX than a 375H&H can shoot a 270gr out a 23" barrel. I cannot see this being done w/ the Steyer or the 375/338WM.

In addition, the "African" Hawkeye is an excellent rifle adding to the overall package of the new 375R.

GVA

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Read Jeff's article:

Good article.

The 375 Ruger has a capacity of 101 the Steyr's is 77.1. I don't care for the rim of the Steyr.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I see the difference now.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 885 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
neither one will ever amount to anything if Hornady is the only company that loads for them and only one rifle company factory chambers for the round.
commercial success is just that. They will both kill anything walking.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sniper:
I bought brass and dies for the 376 about two years ago with the intent of building a rifle. Kind of glad now that I have waited.

I built a .376 Steyr on a VZ-24 & love it!! Big Grin I will Soon build a .375 Ruger on a VZ-24 dancing

Posts: 2360 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sniper:
I bought brass and dies for the 376 about two years ago with the intent of building a rifle. Kind of glad now that I have waited.[/QUOT

If you decide you want to get rid of your .376 Steyr brass PM or email me beer

Posts: 2360 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
neither one will ever amount to anything if Hornady is the only company that loads for them and only one rifle company factory chambers for the round.

Blazer just announced that they will chamber for the 375Ruger in 2008.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:

well theres another dozen rifles.
Blazer just announced that they will chamber for the 375Ruger in 2008.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the .375 Ruger has more case capacity than the .376 Styer.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote