New
Find
Notify
Tools

(Newbie) New to reloading for rifle 308
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey, new to reloading rifle as my header states, I just purchased a Accuracy International AW 308 Tactical rifle with a 24 in 12 twist barrel. I would much appreciate some help in getting started with a load that will maximize the accuracy of this stick. What brass, powder, bullet and primer would you recommend for 100 to 600 yds. I have a RCBS Rock Chucker, and Redding comp dies. Thanks

Posts: 76 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: 26 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been loading for about 46 yrs. I shoot a 700 VSFS in .308. You've got a good start. I assume you have a couple of good manuels. That's first.
I'd buy either Sierra or Nosler 168 gr. match bullets. The Noslers are cheaper in boxes of 250.
I much prefer Winchester cases, but have done well with all makes, even Midways cheap .308 brass. That means .3-.7 MOA for 3 rds.
Lots of powders work fine. I like the ball powders for match ammo. It meters nicer.
I have had inconsistant ignition with CCI 200's and ball powders like AA 2520, 2460, and WW 748. I use either Federal or Winchester primers. I don't bother with match primers any more. They don't seem to make a difference to me.
I just trim and debur the cases, load and shoot. Find the one that shoots the best at the ranges you will be shooting. Sometimes a 100 yd accurate load doesn't work at the longer ranges. More often, the reverse is true.
If you want to reach beyond 600 yds., then I prefer the 175 gr. Sierra MatchKing. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Sierra 168 HPBT and N-550 From 40.7 grains to 48.9 grains with Remington 9-1/2 primer.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote