New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win 748 in 7mm-08
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have a good load for 7mm-08 with 140g boolits and Win 748? I tried 40.0g this morning and it shot well. My books do not show 140g bullets. I split the difference between 130s and 150gs. What would be a max load? I do not have any Winchester published info. Any help?

Gimme Back My Bullets!!!!
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting

QSMA President and Squirrel World Record Holder. 1.96 B&S

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club

Posts: 82 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester only lists 760 for the 7-08 and I tend to agree that 760 is better suited than 748. Hodgdon #26 skips between 130 and 150 gr. as you note.

Quickload predicts 2548 fps and 43810 psi for 40 gr. 748 and a 140 gr. Nosler partition, however, I have found that QL underestimates pressures with 748, so don't take the QL data to the bank.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
The max load for 748 with 140 grain bullets is 43.6 @2900 fps out of a 26" barrel. I'd stay away from 748 myself, Reloader 15 @39.6 grains is what I would use. Should be a very accurate load. 748 is very dirty powder, and temperature sensitive.

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Sierra Manual lists it....

I tried it in the 260 Rem with a 120 grain bullet and 40 grains of W 748.... accuracy was spectacular!

36 grains for 2400 fps, and 43.6 grains for an MV of 2900 fps as a max load....

Since you are in Mississippi, I wouldn't worry about temp sensitivity... Don't want to disagree with Kraky, as I usually agree spot on with his assessments, but on that 748 is a dirty powder......Well, my son can be a dirty kid at times.... so a little cleaning and he is as good as new and allowed back on mom's carpets once again......Works the same program with a dirty powder and a rifle barrel... besides you are not varmint shooting with it anyway!

cheers and good luck...
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
W-748 From 34.8 grains to 45.0 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I wouldnt have been so curious but I was checking all the powders I had in cabinet, tried the Win 748 and got a .56 group. I figured the load I tried (40.0) was on the mild side. Looks promising. I loaded up a few more with Win 760 this morning, havent shot them yet. Looks like the 140g Accubonds are on backorder everywhere though. And I am out of boolits. Guess I will try the Hornadys.

Posts: 82 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This isn't terribly relevant to your original question, but WW748 and WW760 have a unique quality that compensates somewhat for their bad habits. They both produce considerably lower secondary pressure spikes than other powders. I'm guessing this is due to the "cooler burning" coating that Winchester uses. It's not a big deal with jacketed bullets but the difference can be dramatic with cast bullets.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bullie, I was at Glenrock Componets in Wyoming last week & I am pretty sure I seen some of those accubonds on the shelf there. Just thought I would pass that along incase you wanted badly.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hvy. I found a couple of boxes on pushed in the back of a shelf at Sportsmans Warehouse. Got me fixed up for this year. An update on the 748. Still the best groups of any powder in my new 7mm/08. Probably gonna go with it. 2nd best was IMR 4320. Both under an inch from the short lil barrel on my micro hunter.