Find
Notify
Tools

45 Colt Load Too Hot?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted
I've been using a load of 13.5 Blue Dot, 250 Hornady XTP HP, R-P brass, WLP primer, 1.610" OAL in my Blackhawks for a number of years. Seems like a nice, relatively mild load (never chrono'ed it). I'm not sure where I came up with that load, but it was quite a while ago.
Speer lists a maximum of 16.9 Blue Dot with their 240 JHP.

Is it possible this load is too hot for my Redhawk? The reason I'm asking is, when I was at the range last week, after the 20th shot, the cylinder became extremely difficult to release, and must be FORCED shut. Did I ruin something? Confused Frowner

R-WEST

Load smart. Load safe. Triple check everything. Never use load data from the 'net without checking against known, pressure tested load data. Typo's happen!!

"the spotlight of truth will cause the cockroaches of deceit to run for cover every time" Rush Limbaugh

"just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't following you"

"never turn on a blow dryer while holding a cat"

"genius has limits, stupidity does not"

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If 16.9 grains of Blue Dot is a maximum for a 240 grain bullet the 13.5 grains is going to be just fine for a 250 grain bullet. You haven't ruined your revolver but there is something going on. Maybe unburned powder or some other debris in a place I shouldn't be or some other mechanical issue.

Suwannee Tim

Posts: 140 | Location: Way down upon the Suwannee River. | Registered: 02 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tim.
It was a small burr on the frame that was snagging the cylinder. Filed it off, smoothed it up and it's good to go!! dancing

R-WEST

Load smart. Load safe. Triple check everything. Never use load data from the 'net without checking against known, pressure tested load data. Typo's happen!!

"the spotlight of truth will cause the cockroaches of deceit to run for cover every time" Rush Limbaugh

"just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't following you"

"never turn on a blow dryer while holding a cat"

"genius has limits, stupidity does not"

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote