New
Find
Notify
Tools

slow powder in BAR
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am trying to work up a load for a couple of BAR's. I am loading 175 partitions in a 7mm rem. I started with RL 25. The problem is that the rifle seemed to unlock while there was still pressure in the barrel. 63 gr. of RL25 and it blew the primer right out of the case. Not pierced, just gone? Has anyone else noticed this with slow powders in their BAR?
I am going to a faster powder to see if that cures the problem. Appreciate any input. Ken

Posts: 45 | Location: Vista, CA USA | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a BAR so I can't say about it, but I do not use slow powders in my semi-autos (Remington, M1 Garand, Springfield Armory M1As). Slow powders raise the port pressures too high.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Handloads with old surplus H-4831 (burns about like IMR 7828) identical to those I use in a bolt rifle exhibited high port pressures in my BAR .270. Since I have a good stock of factory loads for it, provided to me by a "charitable" source, I don't currently handload for this rifle. If I did, I would try something no faster than 4350.

My guess is that RL25 is way too slow (actually, maintains higher pressures down-barrel) for the BAR. You might get by with 4831, but may have to drop back in the 4350 range to find a satisfactory load.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load 58 grains of H4831 with a 150 grain bullet for my dad's BAR in 270 Win. with no problems.

[ 11-13-2002, 07:13: Message edited by: Washington Hunter ]

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have used IMR 4350 in a 338 Win Mag BAR with no problems ... except accuracy. My BAR adores 250 Remington Core Lokts and nothing else ;>(

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
I also shoot a BAR in 338 the imr4350 is ok but after alot of testing my best and only load now is H4831 - 73.0 grains behind Hornady 225 sp.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies I think I will try 4350 next. I also heard that a standard full length sizing die may not be the ticket for a BAR. Any thoughts on this. Ken

Posts: 45 | Location: Vista, CA USA | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Yes , sorry i didnt mention i had a feeding problem. I bought the RCBS small base sizing die and my problem was solved . Rcbs reccommends these dies for semi-auto's pumps, and levers. My browning BAR is the only rifle i need to use them in. I have both Marlin and winchester levers and a Remington pump, but have never had any feeding problems so the standard dies work fine for these rifles. Good luck, later Dave

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Also about Washington Hunters LOad above NO WAY- I think he ment 58 grains of h4831 NOT 158 Even the 270 Weatherby max's out at 75 grains.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanoose, you're right, of course. Thanks...I went back and edited that post. It would be impossible to get much more than 58 grains in the case anyway. 58 grains just about fills it to the top.

I use standard dies and it works just fine in my dad's BAR 270.

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, for the replies, I may have to check into one of the small base dies, however the one round I put through it seemed to chamber ok. Thanks, Ken

one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
In my BAR 3006, just like the Garand M1, mid burning powders work better, I have had best luck with IMR 4895 and 4064. With IMR 4064 burning the cleanest on the port and a little more accurate when hand weighted. I prefer IMR 4350 or RL 19 in the 30-06 but burn to slow to provide reliable function. Also use a RCBS Small Base Resizing Die on your brass and ejection should not be a problem.

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Commercial semi-autos don't need fast buring powder. I use H-4831 all the time in 742's, and BAR's.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote