New
Find
Notify
Tools

8mm-06 load data
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Purchased a nice Mod 98 Mauser at a gun show yesterday that has been sporterized and rechambered to 8mm-06. Haven't had time to pull the action from the stock or do a complete exaxination but everything looks very good. It has a Simmons 4x8 AO scope mounted in Weaver rings on Weaver bases. I think it has a Timeny trigger that breaks about 4lbs.The stock has a cheek piece and a ventilated recoil pad installed. The package came with RCBS dies and some Hornady 150gr and 120gr bullets along with 50 loaded cases. The cases are neck sized and loaded as follows. L.C. brass, WLR primers, 54grs H-380, and Hornady 150gr SP Interlocks. Cases have been loaded 3 times at 3.235 OAL. The loaders notes also stated these loads shot best @ 2800 FPS.
I would appreciate all comments about the above loads and any suggestions for new loads.
Many thanks,Chief.

Posts: 115 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hail,
Congratulations. The 8mm-06 was the answer to good M98 actions without a supply of 8mm cases following WWII. A new chamber was reamed with a 30-06 reamer, and voila, case availability problems solved.

Because the 8mm is .323" vs .308 in the 30-06, any starting load you find for a 30-06 will be OK for a 8mm-06. I have a 8mm-06, but have not used H-380. I'd think that any of the 4350 powders would be very good in the 8mm-06.

I'd pull the bullets from the loads you got, empty the powder and use it for fertilizer, and reload the cases with what ever appropriate powder you have, again starting with 30-06 starting loads.

You have a really nice rifle which is the metric equvalent of the .338-06. Enjoy your purchase. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I have beemn loading Speer 170 gr bullets in my 8-06 .
While not a match gun or bullet , the combo shoots sub MOA in my rifle if I do my part .

I just with there was a better selection of 8mm bullets

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Strongsville ! I use to hunt rabbit and pheasnt there back in 53 &54. Minch's Nursery Also caught a lot of crappie at the dam on Rocky River. wave 8mm-06
  • 150 gr. Hornady sp, 58gr. 4895,win case, fed Mag primer, 2993fps, could be near max
  • 220 gr sp. 52 gr. IMR 4350, PMC cases, WLRM primers, 2325fps.appeared to be mild.

Please approach with caution.

Put one together in 68 for a friend of mine that moved to Alaska. Still there .Says he only uses it now days for hiking insurance. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote