New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lil' Gun vs H110 for 44 Mag?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any body using Lil'Gun instead of H110/W296 in their 44. I'm wondering if it can be used for reduced velocity loads also. I see the warnings on H110 about not reducing more than 3% from published load. It would be nice to use the same powder from plinker to full house loads.

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I never tried Lil gun in the 44. I did use 2400, and it does work well with reduced loads as well as full house loads.

I think you'd be happier and better served if you use an appropriate powder instead of downloading a slower burning powder. Unique is outstanding for mild to mid range loads, and more economical then slower burning powders.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elmo,

While I am not disagreeing with Paul that you should use the right burning rate powder for the specific job at hand, I will say that conpared to H-110 and W-296, H-LilGun is a much safer and consistant powder when used at less then full power loads.

LilGun ignites much easier then the other powders especially at the reduced pressures of mid range loads and is cleaner burning then 2400 or Unique.

Personally my favorite powder for mid range loads in the 357, 41,44 mag's and Ruger 45 Colt loads is Blue Dot.

The nice thing about LilGun is that it is safe for mid power loads but also will develope equal velocities on average with H-110 and W-296 with max loads. Also from what I have seen it is more consistent in cold weather and does not need the hot magnum primers for top consistency.

I still prefer to use it as a full power powder and use Blue Dot for mid range practice loads.

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not tried LIL'GUN in 44 mag, because I am so happy with the 24 gr H110, 240 gr JHP, 1450 fps.

I have tried LIL'GUN in:
1) 7.62x25mm, too bulky
2) 9x19mm, too bulky
3) 45acp revolver 1.4" OAL, ok
4) 38 sp/357 mag 158 gr LSWC, outstanding and better than H110/W296

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, Guys

I couldn't find out much about lil'gun on the Hodgedon website so I wasn't sure if it had the same safety issues as H110. The free Hodgedon Basic Reloaders Manual show lil'gun the velocty champ for 240grn Nos JHP at 1582 fps. The word is that lil'Gun is also the powder being used in .17 HMR rimfire. I sure wish they would have called it something else besides "Lil'Gun". I hate that name. It makes me think that marketing genius that came up with that is a "Lil'Stupid"

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm... I got a pound to try in the 454 and 44 then my bro told me it was supper dirty in his 475LB so he went back to H110... Just what he told me, I havn't tried it yet though.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used it in max loadings in the .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk. It is not particularly dirty and the accuracy was excellent (sub 3" for 6 shots at 50Y).

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent,
When I worked up a load for 45acp revolver 1.4" OAL with 230 gr FMJ:
15 gr, so dirty that I cound not put another round in the chamber.
16 gr, clean enough to shoot again without cleaning
18 gr, faily clean

I don't know what happened in the 454, but maybe the loads were too light.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote