New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Re-loading bench size?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The height should be a function of what your going to sit on. A stool or a chair. As far as size is concerned get it a large as you have space for with, maximum drawers and storage space.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Milton, I am on my second bench, just moved also. The first one I built myself, going off the same size as my dad's(OK that makes this my third bench). It was 3' tall and 2' wide,8'long. My new bench, already built is 30"x30"x 5'long.This new bench is too short and too deep, length is OK. Hope this helps.

Matt

one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
I used an old sturdy table top (actually a "stone" table used in printing for locking up form for a press-I used to be a "stone man") and made the work height for sitting.

For the right height sitting, measure your dining room table. If you're going to stand, probably waist height.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm building me a standing bench like Dillon recommends next time I move. My benchtop is 2' x 4'. It's half a sheet of 3/4" plywood cut in half and glued together. It's stiffer than I'll ever need it to be. Bolting it to the wall was the best move, since now everything on it doesn't rattle with every stroke of the press.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys.... I'll see what I can dig up or build one.

Posts: 22 | Location: Montana,USA | Registered: 12 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I actually went to Home Depot and bought a solid wood door for my bench. Had a carpenter patient of mine build the thing so it is easy to take apart if I move.

It is very very solid. I think I paid about 40 dollars for the door.