THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    are match grade primers slow to ignite in the cold??

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

are match grade primers slow to ignite in the cold??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Someone told me not to use federal match grade primers in hunting loads due to erratic ignition in extreme cold. is there any truth to this?

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
hvy,No, they will burn with more concisely under any conditions that is why they are match primers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Use magnum primers in extreme cold,regardless of brand name. But you must work up your load just like you did with the regular primers.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's extreme cold? Here in Pa we don't get that I guess. I've never had problems with ignition with Federal 210M's. I don't use magnum primers unless the charge is over 70 grains or it's a ball powder that may be harder to ignite.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Most of my loads in 338 Win Mag utilize Federal 210M's. I've shot in weather as low as -20�F and haven't experienced any problems.

Match grade primers are truly no different than the regular primers of the same spec, except they are manufactured to more consistent and closer tolerances. I'm told the Federal primers come of the same line but are sorted more uniformly by weight for more consistent ignition.

[ 06-03-2003, 18:02: Message edited by: Bob338 ]

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The only difference I can think of is that they might have a slightly lower intensity, which might be a cause of poor ignition at low temperatures. Pure speculation on my part, though. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Same primers as the regular primers (F-210-GMM's and ordinary F-210's, that is). Just more inspectors on the line when running the Match Grade ones. Considerably decreases the chance of getting a "bad" one.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote