New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on my first 458 win mag and Lott loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After much review and consternation, I loaded up my first loads for my Ruger #1 458 Lott. From what I can tell, my loads should be safe. But I guess the reason I'd like for some experienced to chime in is that the loads are compressed when the manual did not give any indication they would be. So here they are. Any help or comments are appreciated.

458 win mag. Winchester brass, Fed 215 primer, 48gr IMR4227, Barnes 300gr tipped TSX. Should be in the 1900fps range. Specific load was not published, but I backed off 2.5gr from the max load published for the 292gr cast bullet in the Lyman manual. The tipped TSX bullets are longer and seat deeper, so I backed the charge down.

458 win mag. Winchester brass, Fed 215 primers, 68gr Reloader 7,Speer 400gr JSP seated in the rear cannelure. This is straight out of the Speer manual, but it is slightly compressed. Speer manual did not indicate that it would be compressed, so I just wanted to double check.

458 Lott. Jamison brass, Fed 215 primer, 78gr Reloader 15,Hornady 500gr JSP. This is a compressed load even though all the loads I've read online range from 83-87gr.

In all cases I backed off of loads that "should be" safe due to the compression of the powder. For now I mainly just want to have loads to test drive my Ruger, but I'd also like to better understand the compressed loads for when I get serious.

Thank you!

...on earth as it is in Texas

Posts: 93 | Location: Magnolia, TX | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
ter much review and consternation, I loaded up my first loads for my Ruger #1 458 Lott. From what I can tell, my loads should be safe. But I guess the reason I'd like for some experienced to chime in is that the loads are compressed when the manual did not give any indication they would be. So here they are. Any help or comments are appreciated.

I WOULD NOT SHOOT THEM!
YOU SHOULD NOT SUBSTUTE A CAST BULLET LOAD FOR A JACKETED BULLET. THERE ARE MAJOR DIFFRENCES.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the caution. Lyman lists 50gr as max for a 385gr bullet, and I'm 2gr less for a 300gr. Should be okay, yes?

Posts: 93 | Location: Magnolia, TX | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should seek more data...for "start loads"..then move up a little at a time in powder charges to "your guns max load"...look for pressure signs along the way...
checkout these links..hope this helps tu2

http://stevespages.com/458_2_300.html

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I checked steves pages
it shows for the 458lott/500gr.bullet and reloader15
67.6 start
76.6 max

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alliant shows a max charge of 80gr on their website for the 500gr Lott load.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of scale are you useing?
I use a beam scale,sometimes digital,i always check them to make sure they are accurate with either a known weight or buy the zero balance on the beam,,,
also some powders/charges need to be dropped into the case with a special for this purpose longer funnel that will help the powder settle better so more can be added than with a standerd funnel,,,i have only read this because i have never actually had a load that needed the longer special funnel to get so much powder in a case...maybe someone can chime in that does this procedure...

more data

http://www.accuratereloading.com/458lott.html

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I usually just tap the cae on a hard surface to settle the powder

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote