New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keyhole Sierra 220 Gr 30-06??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any idea why the Sierra 220 Gr bullets are keyholing in the 30-06 ? (Listed in the accurate loading pages)I snagged a batch of them at a recent gun show but haven't rolled any yet. I will be shooting them in Springfield 03's with original barrels. Any idea if twist rates will be incompatable??? [Confused]

Posts: 68 | Location: Wasilla Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Which 220? Sierra makes a couple of them.

And...you're gonna need a fast twist rate to stabilize that 220 (either one) at '06 velocities.

[ 03-07-2003, 08:36: Message edited by: ricciardelli ]

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Matchkings are not stabilizing in your standard twist barrel, I believe sierra puts that right on the box (for fast twist barrels only) or at least they do with the 22cal MK's.

Posts: 1494 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
With all due respect to ric, the original twist of the '03 Springfield was for the .30/'03 cartridge which used the same 220-grain bullet as the .30/40 Krag, a 220-grain round-nose. This was 1/10". When the 150-grain bullet was adopted, the twist was left the same (1/10"). Julian Hatcher related an instance in which Springfield Armory was getting exceptional accuracy out of a certain lot of '03 Springfields when testing them. They found that a gear on the rifling machine had slipped, and it had rifled a bunch of barrels to 1/11" twist. This twist was much more accurate with the 150-grain bullet. So, what do you think the Army did? Right!! They reset the rifling machine to original specs, so it would give a twist of 1/10", as it was supposed to do, even if this twist was less accurate! Your twist is plenty fast for round-nose 220-grain bullets. Unless possibly you are using an abnormally long bullet, it should work. You can use the Greenhill formula to calculate if your 1/10" twist should work. This formula is: Required twist IN CALIBERS = 150 divided by length of the bullet IN CALIBERS. For example, a 1.35", 220-grain .30 caliber bullet is 4.5 calibers long. 150/4.5 = 33.333 calibers, or 9.99". This is just slightly faster than 1/10" twist. 1/10 will work for this bullet. I would try the issue barrel before buying a faster one!

My (older edition) of the Sierra manual shows them using the 220-grain HPBT Matchking with a 1/10" twist .30/06, and no mention of any problems with that bullet due to the rate of twist.

[ 03-08-2003, 21:28: Message edited by: eldeguello ]