New
Find
Notify
Tools

An old fine shooting Ruger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Smiler I ran into R.J. Bordelon yesterday evening in Jonesville LA. He is a big strapping, bull dog necked fellow with hams for biceps. But he has a good heart and loves to talk about the old days. I asked him if he still was shooting his old Ruger .270. He said his son had bought him a 7MM a few years ago and he had used it some but just about quit hunting. The .270 is an old Ruger bolt action bought about 30 years ago. A friend of his who is an expert reloader worked up a load for it using 130 grain Nozler balistic tip boatails. I remember some of the shots he made with that old rifle. How he shot a buzzard at 450 yards with a fellow measuring the distance with a range finder. The time he shot a chicken Hawk at almost the same distance. The 38 deer he got in Three years on one small hunting club, many shot at over 400 yards and a multitude more in different places. And then the Squirrel hunting as he was walking out back to the dog pen on the club. He shot 9 squirrels in the head on the way out. On one of his shelves at home is a cigar box with a hand full of quarters, nickles and dimes he shot at 100 yards while getting the load right. The many milk jugs filled with water at 450 yards to sight the scope in, etc,etc. I had a real good time talking to RJ about those days because I hunted on the same club at times. People can bitch at thier $1000.00 MK-77 SS Ruger not being accruate, but if it hadn't been for some real good reloading the old .270 wouln't have been as good for sure. That was, and still is, one of the best shooting rifiles I ever seen. If only I can get the new MK-77 SS all weather Ruger in .260 to do as well. Time will tell.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Blob, I have a Ruger M77MKII in 243 Win. that will shoot 100 grain Core-lokts into a 5 shot group that will hide behind a dime at 100 yds. And a M77 MKII standard in 30/06 that is probably that accurate but I have never shot it off of sand bags. I don't know why some folks say that Rugers are not very accurate. I have shoot middlin does out to about 600 yds with that 06 using something to lean the rifle on.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure, I think a lot of the problem is that most people don't realise how much difference ammo can make and can't afford the time or expence to test all possibilities. Not to mention bedding or free floating etc.
And then if they buy say a Tika, which is probably more likely to shoot better, then the Ruger gets rubbished.
JOhn L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds as if the gentleman is an excellent shot with his old Ruger.

But tell me- when did it become legal to shoot birds of prey? If I'm not mistaken, by your accounts your friend is guilty of two violations of Federal law.

Super Bon Bon

Posts: 250 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerWell I'll tell you bon bon, there is not a person alive that has lived a few years that hasn't broken some kind of Federal law at one time. Just check all the foolish and nuneeded Federal laws concerning everything and yep you have broken one or two with out even knowing it or thinking about it! Liberals have put so many rights constaining and freedom defeating laws on the books tha tyou can't even breath with out it being a crime of some kind.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote