New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hogdgons vs, IMR
 Login/Join

<Peter>
posted
Are these powders comparable eg. H4350 roughly the same number of grains as IMR 4350? I was planning on trying the 416 Rigby load in the Reloading Tables, but it talks about H4350 and I only have IMR 4350.
Thanks, Peter.

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
According to my Hodgdon Data Manual....

400gr Bullet
IMR 4350 Powder
Starting Load - 92.0gr yields 2328fps
Maximum Load - 96.0gr yields 2405fps

400gr Bullet
Hodgdon-4350 Powder
Starting Load - 96.0gr yields 2392fps
Maximum Load - 100gr yields 2414fps

Start at minimum loads and watch for pressure signs. NEVER exceed maximum loads. (And I am not responsible if anything bad happens.)

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Multi Vis>
posted
IMR4350 is just a tick faster than H4350 so if you start low and work up you should have no problems. The one thats way off with the two companys is 4831,IMR is much faster than the Hogdon so never use IMR4831 with H4831 data.

<Peter>
posted
Thanks very much! The 416 Rigby seems to be very forgiving. The loads I was playing with when I got my CZ, clock at a little over 2200 fps but the ejected case was absolutely COLD! Compared with 223 cases that are too hot to handle, or even my 38Super cases whcih are also very hot. One thing is for sure, you can't double tap with a 416!!
Peter.

<sure-shot>
posted
Another point I did not see mentioned: Hodgdon H4350 is shorter grained than IMR4350. This means in certain load applications you can fill the case with a few more grains of powder if the pressure limit has not been reached. This was the case while loading for the 7mm08AI this past summer!Hodgdon's extruded powders also meter easier than IMR's. sure-shot

<JoeM>
posted
Hello,
IMHO, Hodgdon seems to have less a problem with temp. Also I try to support Midwestern businesses when I can, and the Hodgdon people are in Kansas, (Yes, their powders are imports I know), but hopefully it might save some midwestern jobs.

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M