Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Rem Mag and 150 Partitions?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
I have developed a load for my Rem 700 using 162gr Hornies and H1000. This is a good load and it has served me well.

I also have a bunch of 150 gr Partitions sitting around collecting dust that I would like to use. Problem is I loaded some according to the Nosler Manual but velocities were very unispiring. I barely got 3000 fps where Nosler claimed 3250 or so. (Now, I know every rifle is different but....)

I can beat this velocity with my current load but I can not beat the bullet performance!
What loads can you guys suggest?

[ 09-27-2002, 15:56: Message edited by: POP ]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Hey POP - so, YOU developed the 162 Hdy/H1000 load, huh? [Roll Eyes]

Anyway, my deer hunting load is 64 AA3100, R-P case, R9-1/2M primer and the 150 Partition, for around 3,100 FPS and numerous sub 1" groups (100 yards) from both my 7RMags with 24" barrels. A similar amount of IMR 4831 gives a little better velocity, but the accuracy isn't quite the same.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
No actually I developed the 80gr of H870 with the 162...in 1993. [Wink]

I shall rephrase... I worked up to 72.5gr of H1000 in my rifle.

Did not mean to steal your thunder [Big Grin]

Thanx for the 150 load!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys--got home from the bowling alley tonight with beers on my breath. Every time I see h870 posted I have to laugh. The only 1#'dr I owned did about 300 fps slower than posted velocity and was dirty as hell and still somehow split magnum cased like butter. Must have been the dreaded "belt"!!! I burned what was left in a silly ceremony in my driveway. Didn't even leave a burn mark....I knnow I must have gotten a bad batch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Time for bed----hope you guys cann laugh with me!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Kraky:
How many times have I said this? No PUI's! [Razz]
"No Posting under the influence!" [Big Grin]

You're right though. I have seen huuuuuuuge variations in burning rate in different lot #'s in H870! [Eek!]

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
POP, I tried H1000 with 160gr Part. at 73 gr, norma brass and F215M primer(way over Max). I'm getting 2950 chrono'd. This is in a 24" bbl old (1977) Ruger M77. I'm thinking its time for a new bbl.I have had very good luck with 65.4gr IMR4831 with 154 Horn.when the rifle was new.Good luck

These are Max loads in my rifle start at least 10% below as a starting load

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
POP -

Just yanking your chain [Smile] How'd it work at 72.5 grains? Never went that high.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob1SG:
This is in a 24" bbl old (1977) Ruger M77. I'm thinking its time for a new bbl.

These are Max loads in my rifle start at least 10% below as a starting load

Hey Rob, You have discovered one of the "Main Reasons" there is no such thing as a MUC Load for all cartridges. And there is "perhaps" nothing at all wrong with the barrel on your "Old M77". Back when they were made, Ruger outsourced their barrels and specified that the Bore/Groove dimensions be slightly larger than you will typically find on other manufacturer's rifles. There are a couple of reasons for this, but that isn't the point.

Take a new Bore Brush and push through your barrel and then use the same Bore Brush in one of your buddies 7mm rifles(any 7mm cartridge). You can feel the difference in the Old M77 Bore being slightly "larger" for the full length of the barrel. That doesn't necessarily mean your barrel is worn out.

But, the loads you mention as being "(way over Max)." are something I also saw in the many different caliber "Old M77s" I had too. I have to use 4.0gr less Powder in my current 7mmRemMag to achieve the same SAFE MAX using the same exact components as I had in my "Old M77 7mmRemMag".

Hey Pop, I agree the H870 can be a very dirty powder in the 7mmRemMag. Years and years ago, I used a whole lot of it in them and fought the barrel residue. Then I saw an article where Bruce Hodgdon recommended making a Paste from your favorite Bore Cleaner and "Bon Ami" kitchen cleaner to cut the residue. This Paste works great on the H870 residue just as he said it would.

Over a very long time, I've noticed the some Hornady bullets can be driven faster than other manufacturers bullets of the same weight. By this I mean you can "Safely" burn more Powder with some of them and still have SAFE Pressure Levels. This situation is another reason why it is a bad idea for people to think they can work up or develop a Load with one manufacturer's bullet, just leave the Load as is and change to a different bullet. Sometimes that will result in Pressures beyond SAFE MAX. And just one more reason why anyone thinking there are MUC Loads that provide Optimum Performance in all rifles of similar caliber are "Full of Beans".

A few years ago, a buddy was about to bust a gut wanting to know how fast the 150gr Partitions ran from my current "slow barrel" 7mmRemMag. So, I did go run them across a chronograph and I think they were slightly below what you are experiencing with the H1000.

Also ran some 140gr B-Tips and 140gr Partitions at the same time. The Partitions allowed using 0.5gr more H1000 to achieve the same CHE & PRE Pressure Indicators and ended up being 50fps faster than the B-Tips. But, the surprising thing to both of us was five 2-shot groups of the 140gr Partitions always resulted in the second shot cutting the first shot. I mention this not as bragging since I realize it was a fluke event, but found it amusing. (Also won a BBQ lunch doing it! [Big Grin] )

I was not close to 3250fps using either of the 140gr Noslers. I think I hit 3100fps with the 140gr Partitions for an average. But, I do like the H1000 in mine.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop and others: H870 used to be my powder of choice in 7 MM Rem, and I used right at 80 Gr. This was in a Ruger M77 as well. The last batch I bought, the case won't even hold 80 Gr. I just used up the rest of it, and max load with a 154 Horn was 76 Gr. This was on the same Ruger but with a new Douglas barrel. I'll never buy H870 again. With the old lot of powder I had, I don't think you could reach a max load on the M77.

As for the 80 Gr. loading, I was using it in the early 80's, maybe late 70's.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
r-west. The H1000 load (72.5gr) went 3080 or so with the 162gr Hornadies. Best group so far is 2" at 300 yds.

What ever happened to 7 mag ..150 gr..3250 fps?

I am not velocity happy, just could never realize that speed. [Confused]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop,
I have an early Rem with a ss factory barrel. I bought this gun used but almost unfired. For the record the load I shoot is 69grs. of R22(CCI#250 primer) and a 150gr. Nosler for 3145fps. The same charge behind a 160gr. Nolser gives 3175fps. Primer pockets stay tight for aleast 6-8 reloads, and it shoots groups just under an inch.
I used to have a Ruger 77 in 7mag also and that rifle would only take loads of about 3grs. less and give just over 3000fps.
The loads I have given are just fine in my Rem. but my not be in other rifles. Anyway try some R22 powder. Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
POP -
quote:
What ever happened to 7 mag ..150 gr..3250 fps?
I dunno. I think a lot of it came from original pretty high pressure loadings and/or velocities in 26" or longer barrels (or advertising hype??).

Wasn't the original 160 grain loading supposed to be around 3,150, too? I know I've never gotten close to those numbers in my 24" barrels, that's for sure.

When the 7RMag came out in '62, not too many people had chrono's to check on the factory numbers. They've made some pretty drastic downward revisions over the years. Just checked the 2002 R-P ballistics chart: 150 Scirocco, Core-Lokt & B-Tip = 3,110 FPS; 160 A-Frame = 2,900 FPS; 160 Part. = 2,950 FPS.

That 162 H'dy/H1000 load at 3,080 with great accuracy and no pressure signs looks better all the time, doesn't it?

R-WEST

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ran some factory and handloaded 7mm Rem mags over the chronograph with the following results. Rifle is a 24" barrel Rem 700 ADL.

Rem factory 140@3225 fps
Fed factory 160@3098 fps (Federal Classic SP)

Sierra 175 SPBT, 78 gr H870 @ 2911 fps

The Rem 140's and the Federal 160's were both faster than advertised by the factories. Those 175 grain Sierras are remarkably accurate too. Regards, Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
r-west...It is a great load. Just that the 162 Horny is not quite tough enough for elk....in case of a bad shot that is.

posted Hide Post
try IMR 7828 with the lighter bullets in the 7mag, it's been the best for me with 139 and 140s, fast and accurate

I really like the H1000 with 160s, and the H870 has worked well with 175s, though I've also noticed it's dirty

Posts: 50 | Location: CO | Registered: 13 April 2002Reply With Quote