New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 for deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The load that I use in my 243 win.is. A 95gr. nosler par. and 43.5gr., of H4350, fed primer, and remington brass. This load works great for Antelope and Whitetail, also Muledeer.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Dennis 11954
posted Hide Post
Some of those who "pooh pooh" the .243 Win for large deer might be interested to know that two BC moose fell to my old M-70 Featherweight while I lived up there. Both with the old 100gr Nosler Partition. Both hit through the lungs broadside. Both laid down (unharrassed!) and died within 100 yds of being hit. Two shots, two moose....

FWIW,

Dennis

"Five beans in the wheel"

Posts: 19 | Location: Northeast Kalifornia | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never owned a .243, but i kinda want one ! I have a pair of .257 Roberts, and i shot a mule deer buck with a 100 grain tripple shock from my Roberts and it just plain did the job.
I saw a couple used sako .243s at a gun show last weekend. A little spendy, but I saw a ruger #1 .243 I thought was cool as hell, it was the lightweight version with the barrel band.
they do not have a reputation for accuracy or i would have bought it, but if you are gonna shoot a small bullet you better put it where you want it to go. Mabye a remington.
I don't know I think its a cartridge that a guy could have a good time with. I think I would rather have a 6mm Rem though, I like the 7X57 case.
I see lots of guys in eastern oregon who hunt deer with a 22/250, head shots.
Not me .243 is as small as I will go.
...tj3006

freedom1st