New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodleigh loading manual
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought the Woodleigh manual but there is no info specifically for the hydrostatic bullets. Would you be able to use the info on the FMJ? I will be loading a 375H&H, 300gr. From what's been said on here R17 looks like would be a good start.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would drop 10% of the book load for any solid or like weight, then work back up to my rifles max, then cut one grain back and call it good.

Contrary to what some advocate, not every rifle has the same max. some take more powder to get the same velocity that's rather mild in another gun and visa versa...I know the max load in every rifle I own and they are all individuals, once I obtain max I then cut back a grain or sometimes two grains and that is my accepted load if it shoots accurately..Book loads vari as much as 3 to 5 grs. I have about a dozen reloading books and they all show different max loads. This is due to the firearm they are fired in.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got looking at their web sight, it says the hydro bullets have similar pressures as the soft nose, so use the info on the soft nose of same weight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Bama15 as long as the bullet does not materially change bullet overall length, particular care to ensure not engaging rifling.

DRSS

Posts: 1970 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bama15:
Got looking at their web sight, it says the hydro bullets have similar pressures as the soft nose, so use the info on the soft nose of same weight.

The Woodleigh catalogues available for down loading from their web site contain loading tips and they actually recommend using their soft nose data for loading their hydrostatic bullets provided you are using the same weight bullets of course.

Posts: 3906 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree reducing the load and working up is the best practice but at $4 a bullet it gets expensive.
Woodleigh says on the website the loads are the same for soft and Hydro. I worked a load for soft then loaded one round of hydro for pressure. Primers looked the same and shot to same point of aim. I am loading a 450/400 in a Ruger Number 1 so if pressure had been high it would not be an issue.

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 700xcr
posted Hide Post
Email them they will get back to you with load information. That is how I got information to load their 350gr. PP in the 375 Ruger. In email state powder and bullet you intend to use. Vey simple and easy.

Posts: 191 | Location: Kennewick,Wa. | Registered: 20 November 2010Reply With Quote