New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What kind of velocity can I expect for 140 grain bullets from a modern action?

What about a 22" vs 24" barrel length?

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
In a 22" barrel I was getting 2750 fps consistently in a Sako AV and a Winchestewr Mod 70. Best powders were N 160, H 4350 & Re 19. I was also getting 2980 fps with Nosler 125 gr Partitions and 2600 fps with Hornady 160 gr RN bullets.

All cases were Lapua or Norma & I used to get minimum 10 reloads with them.

Great caliber & very easy to shoot accurately.

What is your rifle?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:

What is your rifle?

I have a very nice G33/40 action and I was thinking of using it to build a 6.5x55

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
quote:

What is your rifle?

I have a very nice G33/40 action and I was thinking of using it to build a 6.5x55

Good choice.

I use 4831SC max load out of Nosler's latest. Extremely accurate load in my Mk X w/ LW barrel.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook RL 22. I have the same two actions as Nakihunter and I too get about 2750 fps and excellent accuracy with an RL 22 load I've worked up.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2750 ,and as much maybe as 2850. A good powder is 4350 .My rifle is a custom M98 .Also part of the equation -mine is throated for the 160 gr.My load gives no sign of pressure ,very accurate ,about 1/2",

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I would start with caution on this cartridge as the SAMMI spec is for the old M96 Mauser action and low pressure. I know that modern actions can take 60,000 PSI loads but the data is a bit mixed. You will need to work p slowly.

I believe that if you want 2850 fps with 140 gr bullets, then go for a 7mm08 & be safe. With Mauser actions and longer throats, the seating out of bullets could give you a bit more case capacity & a bit more velocity but I would be very careful and push those boundaries only if I am a really experienced reloader with excellent undrstanding of the risks.

The 6.5X55 is a great cartridge and will do all you want it to do as long as you do not try to make it a 270 Win! Actually it is already very close to a 270 WIN with 125 gr or 129 gr bullets. If you use Barnes TSX or TTSX 110 gr or 120 gr bullets, you have a great rifle out to 300 meters plus.

Be safe & have fun.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old Carl Gustov that shoots 120gr. Sierras into sub nickle(Sierra said they probably wouldn't group due to the twist) size groups. Lapua brass,and a pretty stout load of Norma MRP.
When I got it,it sprayed shots and the muzzle looked like it had been cleaned from the muzzle.
My Gunsmith cut about 3-4" off and recrowned it and it turned into a shooter.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about barrel length.....what do you prefer.....22".....23".....24"

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would start with caution on this cartridge as the SAMMI spec is for the old M96 Mauser action and low pressure. I know that modern actions can take 60,000 PSI loads but the data is a bit mixed. You will need to work p slowly.

I believe that if you want 2850 fps with 140 gr bullets, then go for a 7mm08 & be safe. With Mauser actions and longer throats, the seating out of bullets could give you a bit more case capacity & a bit more velocity but I would be very careful and push those boundaries only if I am a really experienced reloader with excellent undrstanding of the risks.

The 6.5X55 is a great cartridge and will do all you want it to do as long as you do not try to make it a 270 Win! Actually it is already very close to a 270 WIN with 125 gr or 129 gr bullets. If you use Barnes TSX or TTSX 110 gr or 120 gr bullets, you have a great rifle out to 300 meters plus.

Be safe & have fun.

With modern powders it isn't hard to get very good velocity at pressures that are safe for the old 96 actions. I do it all the time. Careful study of several manuals will reveal whose loads are geared toward modern actions and which aren't.

Why go with a 7mm-08 when the .260 is available? You can drive a 140 near 2800 fps.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
What about barrel length.....what do you prefer.....22".....23".....24"

My most used 6.5x55 is 23.6" but I have em as short as 17" and as long as 26" on sporting rifles.

22", 23", 24", flip a coin. Not enough difference to lose sleep over. Nice thing about a 6.5 is that you can build it light enough that a 24" barrel still makes for a lightweight rifle.

22" is always a safe bet.

Aut vincere aut mori