New
Find
Notify
Tools

match grade bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are there any significate differences between the Hornady, Sierra ,and Speer 168 HPBT grain bullets.Presently I use Sierra with excellent results,Sierra costs alot more so if I Changed to a cheaper bullet would loose accuracy?

Posts: 45 | Location: Ontario Canada | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For that type of bullet, Sierra is usually as good or better than most untill you go to a custom bullet. Whether or not these other brands would shoot better in your particular rifle, you will just have to try them and see. You won't be saving much over these other brands. If the Sierras are shooting good for you I would probably just shoot em and be happy. ...ol blue

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have paid allot money for 168 Sierra Match Kings over the years, with no great results.

I found that Berger Bullets work well, but cost $25/100.

The cheap and accurate bullet for me is the Hornady Vmax at $15/100.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
When I reloaded for a non cast bullet rifle I immediately went to Sierra. I'm now working with an AR10t and find myself buying Sierra 168 Matchkings by the 500, which gets expensive every three months.
However with my hunting rifles I'll buy two boxes of the Sierras and be well supplied for load testing and hunting for a couple of years.
For a lot of years, money was tight, I explored and used lots of cast bullets with good effect.
I'm curious about the Nosler match bullets made with the j-4 jackets.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Up here in Canada Sierra match bullets are expensive. One shop I go to they are around $44.00 CDN per 100 tax included. I did find a mailorder store that sells them for about $10.00 less ,but when you factor in the shipping and handling charges it would probably work out the same.

one of us
Picture of muskrat
posted Hide Post
Arkypete

I have used the Nosler J4 bullets a good bit in .30 caliber.Both weights shoot very well and when weighed they weigh what they are supposed to.

I use them in 308 and 30-06 using IMR 4350 in both loads with excellent grouping.

If you would like the loads I use email me and I will mail them to you.

muskrat
live to shoot-shoot to live!

Posts: 287 | Location: central ohio | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MidwayUSA has Sierra 168s for $15.99 per box.

Posts: 283 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info KLN BUT I dont think Midway will ship to Canada, same as Cabelas they have a problem shipping stuff north of the border.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might try the canadian version of the benchrest shooters associations; particularly the 1,000 group for a Canadian custom 30 caliber bullet maker. They do shoot better than any "factory" bullet.

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Ruger Red
You suppose that a care package for the poor starving, under priviliged Canadians could be arranged?
What sort of items does the Canadian tax grabbers let pass without some sort import tax? Shoes? Stuff a box of bullets in the toes of some old shoes. How about a representive sample of my families Ol Virginny chocolate chip cookies?
I hate taxes and tax collectors if I'd been at the Boston Tea Party, I would kept the tea and thrown the tax people in the harbor.
It's never immoral to cheat the government.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
A couple weeks ago I tried some Nosler 168gr J4 bullets.

In a McMillan A5-stocked 700VS LH 308Win. Was trying out the Nosler 168gr J4 competition bullet. I'm not made of money, and 250 168 match bullets for $32 (on sale at Natchez Shooters Supply) seemed a good value. I bought two boxes of 250.

Loaded up 45 rounds. 15 each with 44, 45, and 46 grains of RL15. Bullets seated to COL of 2.825", to fit in the magazine. These are .03" off the lands.

Shot 5 3-shot groups with each load. The average group size of the three loads:

44gr: .465 (best .312)
45gr: .496 (best .422)
46gr: .854 (best .523)

Weather was calm, 78 degrees, overcast, a beautiful shooting day.

Intended to chrono all of these, but failed to bring the tripod adaptor, so no dice.

MM

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Montana
Have many AR10ts turned up at Lejeune? A Marine up at Quantico said the Corps is buying them up in big bunches.
I load the 308 to fit the magazine, of course. I think I'll follow your lead and get a couple of boxes of the Nosler 168s when I get a bit further into the 500 Sierra 168 MK.
I'm working with IMR 4064, 39.8 grains on LC brass, not match. The LC brass is fairly accurate once I get them sorted out into heavy, just right and light.
Jim

[ 10-19-2003, 18:08: Message edited by: arkypete ]

<MontanaMarine>
posted
Haven't seen any AR10s here. But then I'm an artilleryman....

MM