New
Find
Notify
Tools

H335 in Garand???
 Login/Join

<ringneck>
posted
I have about 8 pounds of H335 and would like to use it if possible to load in a Garand. I know that some powders can damage the operating rods. I saw in the Hornady manual that they use it for 155 grain loads but no others. I would also like to shoot 165-168's. Have any of you used this or seen M1 loads using this powder in other manuals??

Thanks, Shawn

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think 335 is actually a little fast and you might not generate enough port pressure to reliably cycle the gun...IMR 4895, 4064 or AA2520 are the type of powders you want to use.
335 is a double base ball powder and operates in a very narrow pressure band. Another way of saying this is that H335 gives erratic results when its used in situations where it is less than an ideal choice. It would be a wonderful choice for a .308. Its not particularly good for 30-06. I don't think it would hurt your gun like a really slow powder could. You'll just get erratic results. Conversely, a powder like IMR3031, which has a similar burn rate compared to H335, would be a super choice as it is not pressure sensitive like the ball powders and can operate in a much broader pressure range... confused yet?

[This message has been edited by Kentucky Nimrod (edited 03-28-2002).]

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Should work OK, and it won't give too-high port pressures that will damage your op rod, BUT, you may have to be content with somewhat reduced muzzle velocities, perhaps. BUT, Kentucky Nimrod has given a good description of the faults of ball powders.