Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What about this loading on the 25-06?
 Login/Join

posted
Do any of you guys have any information on 25-06 loads using 117gr. SST bullets? Is this a good grouping load, good for deer, Is it around 3000fps?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The sst's will hammer the deer if you put them in the boiler room behind the shoulders. BUT they are somewhat explosive so stay off bones and "end to end" shots. Your gun will tell you if it "likes" them but my guess is they will be nicely accurate. If you do take a deer let us know how they worked.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I've used the SSTs in my .25-06 at about 3,000'/sec and they work but don't expect any pass thrus....they're a triffle fragile.

Accuracy in my gun is good.....under 1 1/4"

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Is this a good grouping load

Only your gun can tell you that.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 25-06 shoots groups well under an inch using the 117 Hornady SST's. However, I have not shot anything but paper with them.

My dad shot two deer with them in a 257 Weatherby and they did just fine. However, both shots were lung shots behind the shoulder. When we tried the 139 grain SST's in his 7mm Rem Mag they also shot great but came apart when we shot wild hogs with them. Those bullets do seem to be pretty fragile.

I just do not have enough info to say how well they will work "on average" when shooting deer.

The load that shoots so well in my rifle is as follows:

Winchester case
Fed 215M primer
54 grains IMR 7828
Hornady 117SST
Velocity 3100 fps
groups as small as 0.5 inches

This is about a max load according to the reloading manuals so work up to it carefully.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm getting a muzzle velocity of 3167 FPS (chronograph) with the 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips with my 24" barrel 25-06. The 120 grain Nosler Partitions give me a muzzle velocity of 3008 FPS. Both group well.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you like to use Hornady bullets use the Interlocks.
They are more accurate and don't blow up. I have tried the SST's on two deer and quit using them they are simply too destructive and completely come appart. In the 25-06 I am using the Barnes TSX bullets in 100 gr. I toke three deer with them this fall with perfect results. Besides they are very accurate.

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote