New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using WC 867 Powder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a few jugs of WC 867 surplus powder a couple of years ago simply because it was cheap and because I've had good luck with other surplus powders from this particular supplier.

Data for WC 867 is essentially non-existent, except for the label which simply says "See AA8700 data which is approximate so use caution". Anecdotal information indicated that WC 867 is a bit slower than AA8700 or H-870, perhaps as slow as WC 872.

Yesterday I finally got around to trying my first loads with this powder and relied on some old Hodgdon H870 data as a starting point in a .300 Weatherby. The chronograph revealed that WC 867 nearly duplicates the book performance of H-870 (at least in this rifle), so it appears not nearly as slow as the lots of WC 872 that I've used.

After making a few adjustments up and down in the load I settled on one which yields 3065 FPS (from my 24" barrel) with a 190 grain Nosler Accubond Long Range bullet. I could get more velocity without apparent pressure indications, but by slightly backing off of the higher velocities I got consistent 3/4 MOA accuracy. Primers were Federal 215 and ES and SD were both very low. By the way, as someone mentioned in another AR thread, I found that it took two grains less powder for the same velocity when switching from Weatherby brand brass to the heavier R-P brass.

I'm not sure what the status or availability of WC 867 is currently, but if you have some I think you might find it performs well in "overbore" magnums like .264, 7mm STW, and the Ultramags and Weatherbys.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good to know I have had very good luck with surplus powders.

Mostly wc844 and wc852.

Posts: 19453 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a couple jugs of powder labeled WC 867 from Ammomart, a Canadian powder distributor. You are correct there isn't much load data. Who knows if all the powder labeled WC867 is the same ?? I have found the lot I have is very close to old H 450. Also the newer Magpro powder is very similar both in Max loads and velocities.

Posts: 2438 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, it isn't exactly the same powder, but my current load in my 7 MM RM is 79 grains of WC 860 behind a Nosler 162-grain Solid Base, lit with a Federal 215. I haven't chrono'ed the load, but it cloverleafs in both my BDL and my son's tang safety Ruger 77. Working up the load, I used AA 8700 data.

And FWIW, last time I looked (last week), Jeff Bartlett @ www.gibrass.com had WC 867.

If it is like 860 it is darned good stuff (and it should be...).

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a lot of carbon fouling from 860 in a 7wsm. Are you seeing the same thing with 867? I think I read somewhere that the powder is coated in graphite.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[quote]79 grains of WC 860 behind a Nosler 162[/quote)

I loaded some WC860 in 300mag 416 338 and velocities were really low.

I sold my last jug of it to 50cal shooter.

Posts: 19453 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience with WC 860 is that it is somewhat slower than WC 867 and about the same speed as WC 872. But my experience is limited to certain lots of powder. Surplus lots of powder certainly do vary in burning characteristics as it is all "non-canister" powder, so to speak, so each large lot is tested and appropriate adjustments made to the charges in the ammunition loaded with it. There is no guarantee that if I bought a new jug of WC 867 today that it would very closely match that which I have on hand from a couple of years ago.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpl:
I had a lot of carbon fouling from 860 in a 7wsm. Are you seeing the same thing with 867? I think I read somewhere that the powder is coated in graphite.

I would expect very sooty burning with WC860 in a 7WSM. It is far too slow for the size case and relative expansion ratio of that cartridge. By the way, most all powder has some graphite coating to (1) suppress static spark, and (2) allow it to flow better through metering devices.