New
Find
Notify
Tools

.30-20 and 145gr spitzer in a single shot rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm sitting here at my desk, looking at these nice 145 gr spitzers, and at some empty .32-20 cases...
I was thinking of combining these together with some VV N110 powder for my CF BSA 12/15 conversion with .308 barrel, 1:14" twist (take-off match rifle barrel).
Is there anyone with experience - or load data - for heavy bullet 32-20 loads, type TC contender? A safe starting point would be all that I need. I've looked around a bit, but cannot find anything similar. Should make an interesting combination, running at the lower end of the speed range...

<9.3x62>
posted
Expansion will not happen. I tried some similar experiments with 110 and 130 Spitzers out of a 32-20 rifle.

Anyway, I believe the current Speer manual has some heavy loads for the 32-20 in a TC. Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
www.stevespages.com has load data for 135gr bullets.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
This will give me a starting point at least - 135gr is not 145, but now I have a benchmark for a safe starting load. Expansion is not the purpose - just accuracy. These will be strictly target loads. The bullets aren't even SP's or HP's - just solid nose. But they should be ideal in my Schulz & Larsen barrel, about the ideal length for the twist...